To graduate with a Plymouth State University degree, students must have the following requirements fulfilled:
- Complete all course requirements as outlined in the University Catalog for their program, including major courses, minor courses (if applicable), and general education coursework.
- Be sure they have met the total number of credits required for their degree program. The minimum number of credits to graduate is 120; however, some programs have a higher credit requirement.
- Be sure they have met the major average, discipline average (if applicable), minor average (if applicable), and cumulative grade point average for their degree program. Every major, discipline, and minor requires a minimum 2.00 average, but some require a higher average.
- Be sure they have filed all appropriate paperwork.
- Are they completing a major and/or option in their major, but not filed the Academic Major and/or Option Declaration or Change form?
- Is the Academic Catalog they are following the one in which they are actually declared? For instance, are they listed with the Registrar’s Office as following the 2009-2010 Catalog, but actually following the 2011-2012 Catalog? If so, they need to submit a Request to Change Catalog form to the Registrar’s Office in Speare Building.
- Are they completing an academic minor, but not filed the Academic Minor form?
- Did they file an Academic Minor form, but now are not going to complete the minor? If this is the case, they need to submit a Request to Remove an Academic Minor or Option form with the Registrar’s Office in Speare Building.
- If they are substituting a different course for a course required in their major or minor, have they filed a Student Request form?
- Have they taken a course at another institution, but haven’t filled out a Transfer Credit Approval form, or had an official transcript sent to Plymouth so the course appears on their Plymouth State University transcript?
- Students must take care of any financial obligations, or their diploma cannot be sent to them. Do they have an outstanding library book or fine? Do they have any unpaid parking tickets?
Be sure they have filed their Undergraduate Degree Request for the time period in which they are completing their degree. The form may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office in Speare Building, or on-line at www.plymouth.edu/registrar/forms.
If students are currently enrolled as degree-seeking students and have earned a minimum of 90 credits by October 1 of the year preceding the Commencement Ceremony, they are automatically eligible to “walk,” and will be notified of such. They will receive directions on how to file for commencement participation during the fall semester.
If students have less than 90 credits earned as of October 1 and wish to “walk,” they must submit a written request with a copy of their plan, which shows completion no later than the fall semester following the commencement ceremony, to the Associate Vice President of Undergraduate Studies for permission to participate in the commencement ceremony. The letter should include the following:
- Their credit situation: how many credits they currently have earned, what they are currently enrolled in for courses, and how and when they plan to complete their remaining coursework.
- They will be contacted regarding the decision. If approved, they will be given directions on how to file for commencement participation.