Advising office hours:
- Plymouth State University Academic Catalog
- “Choices” Software
Academic advising is an educational process that, by intention and design, facilitates students’ understanding of the meaning and purpose of higher education and fosters their intellectual and personal development toward academic success and lifelong learning. (NACADA)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Value the advising process as part of the academic experience.
- With the guidance of an academic advisor, make effective decisions concerning their academic and career goals.
- Be knowledgeable about General Education requirements of PSU.
- Use campus resources and services to assist them in achieving their academic, personal, and career goals.
- Follow through when referred to appropriate campus resources.
- Graduate in a timely manner based on the curriculum plan.
|Advisor Responsibilities||Student Responsibilities|
Communicate the university’s curriculum, requirements, policies, and procedures.
Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures.
Encourage and guide students to define and develop realistic educational goals.
Clarify personal values and goals.
Assist students with academic planning consistent with their abilities and interests.
Participate proactively in the decision-making process.
Listen carefully to questions and concerns.
Prepare a list of questions or concerns before each. advising visit
Match students’ needs with available resources and make referrals.
Follow through on suggested actions, resources, or referrals.
Monitor students’ progress.
Keep a personal record of academic progress.
Discuss the relationship between academic preparation and the world of work.
Accept responsibility for academic decisions and performance.
Important Dates for First Semester
- September 7
Student Activities Fair
- September 7
- September 13
Welcome Pizza Party
- October 4
What Would You Do For Free? w/Fred Bramante & Ice Cream Social
- Week of October 5
Meet in preparation for scheduling
- Weeks of October 12 – October 22
- October 15
6 Week grades ready for new students
- October 19
Workshop-Discover Your Passion
- October 23
Registration for Spring 2011
- November 5
- November 9
Stress Management Workshop
- November 23 – November 28
- December 1
- December 13 – December 17
- December 18 – January 30
These are the suggested, minimum times for advisor/advisee contact. You may wish to have additional time to meet throughout the semester. Please note that additional information will be announced for guest speakers and program events.