Are you not feeling very well? Have you been stressed, not sleeping & not eating properly? Do you have a raspy cough, sore throat or nasal congestions? Although the common cold and the flu share many similar symptoms, they are two very different conditions.
Even though both are caused by a virus, it can be important to identify if you are sick with a simple cold or the flu, since there are treatments for the flu. If you have the flu, people around you who have been exposed can take preventative medications so that they don’t get sick too.
Easy tips to help you ride out the flu season:
• Get plenty of bed rest.
• Stay home and away from others.
• Cut back on alcohol and smoking.
• When you sneeze or cough, cover your mouth with a tissue or the inside of your elbow rather than your hand.
• For fever accompanying flu, those 21 and younger should take an alternative to aspirin. Aspirin combined with fever has been linked to Reye’s syndrome in children and teens.
• Drink plenty of water, especially young children, who can easily dehydrate.