Steps for job search strategy:
- Write your resume and have it critiqued during our resume clinics at Career Services.
- Write your cover letter or email cover letter and have it critiqued during our resume clinics.
- Learn about interviewing techniques, or review our videos.
- Know job search etiquette. Review the guidelines.
- Develop a portfolio with Experience.com or PSU’s Mahara.
- Learn what the salary is projected for your occupational area and the cost of living.
- Use networking resources:
- Take a senior seminar course in your major.
- Join one or more of PSU’s campus clubs/organizations/honor societies.
- Search your PSU Alumni Network to find a mentor to help you with your job search.
- Join or search the websites of your professional associations by major/field/focus.
- Young Professional Groups are regional and national. Check this list for a group near you.
Reactive Search or Proactive Search…that is the question!
This depends on whether the positions are normally posted to a listing to react to or the postions are not generally posted to online listings such as Monster….
Proactive search is thinking about where are the likely organizations that employ students with your field of interest. You proactively search for the organziations and check on their websites to see if they have a listing for an opening. If they do not, you write an email of inquiry or cover letter and submit your resume as an attachment.
Possibly in order to track who you have contacted, use this prospect sheet as a guide and tracking contacts for prospecting for new sites.