1998 Archives

April 8, 1998

June 10th, 2011 by Michael

Present: B. Benoit, R. Bowers, G. Carr, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, C. Vascak

Minutes of March 30, 1998 were accepted.

Terri L. began discussion on the email/comments portion of the Web page. It was agreed that the email messages should be forwarded on to every member of this committee. It was noted that we also need to have a paper process and central repository. The paper process will be discussed at our next meeting.

Discussion on Goal 12 (Web Goal 10):

  • Change 12.3 to read “After consideration of feedback from representative constituencies, the President shall approve the college-wide assessment program”.
  • Add 12.B. to read “The task force on assessment shall develop and recommend an administrative structure for operations of the assessment program”.

Discussion on Goal 11:

  • Change the goal statement from Expand Outreach Programs to “Continue our growth as a significant agent for community, citizenship enrichment and economic development in the regions north of Concord”.
  • Add 11.A. as “Identify and document current outreach initiatives.
  • Add 11.B. as “Develop plans for additional outreach initiatives.
  • Add 11.B.1. as “Increase the number of evening sections of General Education courses in order to increase access to degree programs.
  • Add 11.B.2. as “Develop Saturday schedules of credit courses in order to increase access to degree programs.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, April 10, at 3:30 p.m. in HUB119.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

December 4, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

December 4, 1998

Present: S. Burrell, G. Carr, C. Chabot, B. Crangle, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, J. Sturges, B. Taffe, C. Vascak, E. Wixson

  1. The minutes of November 20, 1998 were accepted upon a correction to the date referred to in Goal IX.B.2. The date of March 1, 1998 needs to read March 1, 1999.
  2. Discussion on the strategic indicators for each goal.
  • Bill Crangle noted that Robert Toutkoushian offered to meet with this committee to discuss the USNH strategic indicators currently in use.
  • Bill Crangle reviewed the spreadsheet, entitled “PSU Key Strategic Indicators”, that he had emailed to all of us prior to the meeting. It was noted that a key question, “What is important/strategic to measure?,” should be kept in our minds It was also noted that some indicators may seem less significant, but over time can show significant changes in trends and that these changes may speak to the overall quality of service. Bill Taffe suggested that we need to create measures of retention and cost indicators; such as, total dollars received from the State of N.H. per fte student and measures of revenue and expense.
  • We agreed to Bill Crangle’s suggestion that each member of the committee be assigned responsibility for creating a list of indicators for at least one of the goals. Bill C. volunteered to collect all of the ideas and integrate them into one document that the committee could then review at our next meeting. The results are as follows:
  • Goal I – Leo, Cynthia
    Goal II – Bill C.
    Goal III – Leo, Alice
    Goal IV – Terri, Jessica
    Goal V — Steve, Bill B., Robin
    Goal VI – Ed, Bill C., Leo, Bill B., Robin
    Goal VII – Terri
    Goal VIII – Steve
    Goal IX – Allison, Gail
    Goal X – Bill C.
    Goal XI – Robin

It was agreed that the indicators are to be sent to Bill C. by January 10 for compilation into a document that will be distributed on February 5.

  • Leo began a discussion on the timetable for the two reports due this month on the issues of service learning and community. Leo would like to request a reconsideration of the December 1, 1998 deadline due to the fact that he and Scott Meyer will not be meeting with President Wharton until January 20 to begin a discussion on this topic. Regarding the issue of community, this committee distributed a short survey in November to all constituencies. So far, the rate of return is very low. Cynthia and Chris suggested that we use some of the information that we have captured over the past year or so to also use for this purpose. For example, we could look to the notes that were taken on the Planning Day in May 1998. (?) Leo reminded us that this committee was charged to provide for some opportunities for fact-to-face dialogue on the issue of community.
  • Terri suggested that we need to consider how the strategic plan should be formally introduced to the community. Perhaps a kick-off/announcement event would be appropriate. It was noted that this committee considers the draft process for the plan complete and that we need to begin the implementation. A discussion followed, and several members strongly suggested that we need the major kick-off event to increase “buy-in” and to notify everyone that it is time to take action.
  • Regarding membership for next semester, it was noted that Chris Chabot and Bill Taffe will be on sabbatical. Leo will contact Dave Kent, Faculty speaker, for the appointment of their replacements. Also noted was the fact that Bill Benoit should be rejoining us, as his sabbatical will be ending.
  • It was noted that Cynthia Vascak will be assuming the position of scribe at our next meeting.
  • The next meeting of this committee is scheduled for Friday, February 5 at 3:30pm in HUB Tower Room.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

November 20, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

November 20, 1998

Present: G. Carr, B. Crangle, T. Lessard, A. Staples, J. Sturges, B. Taffe

  1. Bill Taffe chaired the meeting in the absence of Leo Sandy.
  2. The minutes of November 6, 1998 were accepted.
  3. Bill Crangle began a preliminary discussion on strategic indicators by redistributing a report, “Preliminary data on USNH strategic indicators,” produced by Robert Toutkoushian on January 27, 1998. It was noted that this report is scheduled to be updated in January, 1999. In addition Bill distributed reports entitled, “N.H.’s Ranking on State Appropriations” and “Performance Indicators”. He has agreed to aid the committee in our assessment process by providing us, before the next meeting, with an initial list of strategic indicators that are specific to our strategic plan. In order to help in the process, Bill Taffe suggested that each member of the committee read these reports and be prepared for a general discussion at our next meeting where we could decide upon our approach for the Spring. He specifically suggested that each of us create a list of strategic indicators that are believed to be appropriate for each goal. These indicators could then be prioritized and an inquiry into the cost could begin.
  4. Bill Taffe suggested that we not meet during finals week, which means that December 4 will be our last meeting for the semester.
  5. The committee began its review of the email comments that have been received on version III of the strategic plan. The following resulted:
  • Goal V.A.3. – The Curriculum Committee replaces “the faculty” as the most appropriate group to handle this objective. (re: email from Chris Chabot 11/16/98)
  • Goal V.A.4. – The Curriculum Committee replaces “the faculty” as the most appropriate group to handle this objective. (re: email from Chris Chabot 11/16/98)
  • Goal VI.A. – The comments provided on this objective were discussed and noted as editorial in nature. No action taken. (re: email from Chris Chabot 11/16/98)
  • Goal VIII.A. – A clause which reads, “in a manner consistent with the optimal enrollment of PSU as described in Goal II.D.” was added to the end of this objective after the word, “recommendations.” It was decided to leave the year 2004 as is.
  • Goal VIII.B.2 – The suggestion was accepted. The sentence will now read, “By February 1, 2000, develop timelines for the implementation of the critical needs identified in the facility audits which would begin with FY 2001. (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)
  • Goal VIII.B.3. – The suggestion was accepted. The sentence will now read, “By February 1, 2000, develop a budget support model to accomplish facility audit timelines which would begin with FY 2001. (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)
  • Goal VIII.B.4. – The suggestion was accepted. The sentence will now read, “By February 1, 2000, develop a staffing plan for the maintenance of our physical plant, which includes all buildings and grounds. (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)
  • Goal VIII.C.2. – The suggestion was accepted. C.2. becomes C. and reads as follows, “Continue to address ongoing parking issues. The Director of Administrative Services will:

1. Complete parking inventory and needs assessment by September 1, 1999.

2. By February 1, 2000, develop timelines for implementation of a parking plan which would be based on the inventory and needs assessment, and which would begin with FY 2001. (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)

  • Goal VIII.C.1. – The suggestion was accepted. C.1. becomes D.1. and the date will be changed from February 1, 1999 to September 1, 1999. (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)
  • Goal VIII.C.3 – The suggestion was accepted. C.3. becomes D.2. and the words “Exteriors and Grounds” will be replaced with “Landscape”, the word, “broad” will be deleted and the date will be changed to January 1, 1999. Therefore, D.2. becomes, “By January 1, 1999, the President will appoint a committee, which includes representation from student, operating staff, PAT, and faculty constituencies, to serve as advisors to the Design Team for Campus Landscape.” (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)
  • Goal VIII.D. – The suggestion was accepted. D. becomes E. (re: email from Mike Horton 11/16/98)
  • Goal IX.B.2. – The suggestion was discussed and resulted in changing this objective to read, “The Director of Continuing Education in consultation with the Department Chairs will develop and submit to the Dean of the University by March 1, 1998 a programmatic plan for [delete: to increase the number of] evening sections of General Education courses in order to increase access to degree programs.” (re: email from Enid Burrows 11/17/98)
  • Goal IX.B.3. – The suggestion was discussed and resulted in changing this objective to read, “The Director of Continuing Education in consultation with the Department Chairs will recommend to the Dean of the University by September 1, 1999, a feasibility study [delete: plan for the institution] of credit courses on Saturday.” (re: email from Enid Burrows 11/17/98)
  • Goal VII – The suggestion was accepted. The phrase, “including assessment of the hourly and student workforces on campus and their welfare” will be added to the end of the objective. (re: email from Diane Jeffery 11/10/98)
  • The email comments from Mark Turski were discussed and noted as editorial in nature. No action taken.

6. Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, December 4, at 3:30 p.m. in HUB Tower Room. At this time the committee will review the list of due dates and notify the appropriate campus individuals and groups.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

November 6, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

November 6, 1998

Present: G. Carr, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, A. Staples, J. Sturges, B. Taffe, C. Vascak, D. Wharton, E. Wixson

  1. The minutes of October 16, 1998 were accepted.
  2. Discussion continued from our last meeting regarding version III of the strategic plan and resulted in the following:
  • Goal VIII.A.2. – It was noted that this objective needed to be directly related to Goal II.D, which refers to optimal enrollment.
  • Goal II.B. – It was noted that a date needed to be set for the development of a strategy that will allow for a 50% reduction in the number of achievement level 4 students.
  • Goal XI – It was noted that the dates in B. and C. need to be reversed.
  • Goal X.A.4. – Correct “fund” efforts to “fund-raising” efforts.
  1. Bill Taffe suggested that the Focus statement be changed as follows:
  • Change the first item to read, “Excellence in teaching and learning.”
  • Add a fifth item stating, “Developing a sense of community.”
  • In the third item correct “students” to “student” leadership
  1. In regards to #2 (September) of the Annual Planning Schedule document Bill Taffe stated his concern that holding an all-college meeting annually is too frequent of a length of time. His reasoning is that people would lose interest in attending, because they would find the process too routine.
  2. Bill Taffe distributed a packet of tables, which help identify and review the timelines listed in the strategic plan. It was noted that several dates are coming due shortly and that a review of all of the dates should be made by this committee. It was also noted that Goal IX.C.2. and Goal XI.D.1. have no reference to responsible offices, as well as no timeline for the latter.
  3. Dr. Wharton noted that version III will be made available to the campus via the intranet on Monday, November 9, and comments will be collected over the following two weeks.
  4. The committee will begin implementing Goal I.A.1. by soliciting comments from faculty, staff and students on issues of community. Leo will provide a template of the questions and will be responsible for contacting the faculty and lecturers. Terri and Gail will contact the PATs and regular hourly employees. Allison will be responsible for contacting the Operating Staff, and Jessica will contact students.
  5. Upon review of the due dates this committee will notify the various standing committees of their obligations under the strategic plan.
  6. President Wharton agreed to provide copies of the USNH strategic indicators to this committee.
  7. Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, November 20, 1998 at 3:30 p.m. In Leo’s absence, Bill Taffe will chair the meeting.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

October 16, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

October 16, 1998

Present: R. Bowers, G. Carr, C. Chabot, B. Crangle, T. Lessard, L. Sandy, A. Staples, J. Sturges, D. Wharton, E. Wixson

1. The minutes of October 2, 1998 were approved.

2. President Wharton distributed his new draft of the strategic plan, which incorporates the suggested changes from our last two meetings except those regarding IAC and part-time faculty. He also distributed his version of “The Plan for the Plan” renamed “The Planning Schedule” and a document listing some strategic themes.

3. Discussion on “The Planning Schedule” concluded with the following two changes having been made on number 7:

  • Change the reference to “1998/99 plan” to the “annual update of the plan”
  • Review of Goal I and II will begin in the Spring of 1999

4. Discussion on the vision/mission/focus/values document resulted in the following changes:

  • The President will revise the Focus as one phrase similar to, “PSU is a community of scholars committed to a dynamic curriculum; a challenging and caring attitude toward all who would learn; a vigorous and vital campus life; and continuous improvement in all aspects of the college.

5. Discussion on the vision statement resulted in the President asking for four to six suggestions from each member of the committee. These suggestions are to be emailed to Terri L. by Wednesday, October 21, at which time she will anonymously distribute the list to the membership for voting.

6. Discussion on the “strategic themes” document also resulted in requesting suggestions. The goal is to reword them into phrases that are more memorable and communicable. These suggestions should also be emailed to Terri L. by Wednesday, October 21.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, November 6 in HUB 123 at 3:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

October 2, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

October 2, 1998

Present: R. Bowers, S. Burrell, G. Carr, B. Crangle, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, A. Staples, J. Sturges, D. Switzer, B. Taffe, C. Vascak, D. Wharton,

1. The minutes of September 18, 1998 were approved.

2. Two new members were welcomed, Jessica Sturges as the Student Senate representative and David Switzer as the Chairperson of the Council of Chairs.

3. Discussion on the strategic plan was resumed from the last meeting.

4. Goal VI. was changed as follows:

  • Goal VI.A. – change name to lower case and add the word teaching to become “center for teaching/learning excellence” with the idea that the center’s name should be voted on by the faculty
  • Goal.VI.B.1 – change date to November 1, 1998
  • Goal VI.B.1.a. – needs to be rewritten to emphasize the productivity increases.
  • Goal VI.C. – change to read, “The Dean of the University will charge a [Faculty ? – may need to expand the membership beyond faculty] task force with the investigation [delete development] of a conversion [delete proposal to convert] from the present 3-credit course system to a 4-credit course system with special consideration given to a correlative increase of instructional contact time with students and for alternative “out-of-course” modes of student learning with a report to be presented to the faculty by November 15, 1999. Add: If the committee determines that such a change is favorable, it shall bring forth on that date a proposal for implementation.
  • Goal VI.D.1. – add to beginning of sentence, “Attain and” maintain salary parity with peer institutions.
  • Goal VI.D.4. – change to read, The Dean of the University and the Council of Chairs will review the present allocation of the advisee load and make recommendations to ensure equity to the President by September 1, 1999.
  • Goal VI.D.5. – change the word “use” to “purpose
  • Goal VI.E. – change the words “professional staff” to “instructional staff”
  • Goal VII. was changed as follows:
  • Goal VII.A.1. – change “college personnel office” to “President”
  • Goal VII.A.2. – change “college personnel office” to “Holmes Group” [with broadened representation] and add “to the Cabinet” to the end of the sentence.
  • The President agreed to take under consideration the making of a commitment to establishing an office of institutional research.
  • Goal VII.A.3. – change “college personnel office” to “Holmes Group” and add words to the phrase, “will annually collect and measure…”
  • Goal VII.A.4. – change “college personnel office” to “Holmes Group”
  • Goal VII.B. – notation: be sure to recognize that this includes student employment
  • Goal VII.B.1. – need to address that the date of January 1, 1999 is repeated in the same sentence.
  • Goal VII.B.3. – add “technology,” after the phrase “adequate tools, “
  • Goal VIII was changed as follows:
  • Goal VIII.A.1. & 2. – the President will rewrite this to include the responsible parties.
  • Goal VIII.A.2. – delete the phrase, “to meet the future increases in enrollment of 10%”
  • Goal VIII.C.1. – add “with a recommendation to the President” to the end of the sentence.
  • Goal VIII.C.2. – add “with a recommendation to the President” to the end of the sentence.
  • Goal VIII.C.3. – change date to November 1, 1998.
  • Goal VIII.D.3. – change “by September 1, 1999” to “with a progress report by May 1,1999 and a final report by May 1, 2000…”
  • Add Goal VIII.D.4. to read, “The Dean of the University will appoint a task force to review the use of lab/course fees.”
  • Goal IX. was changed as follows:
  • Add Goal IX.A.1. to read, “The Director of Administrative Services will provide a report on all outreach activities by May 1, 1999.”
  • Goal IX.B.1. – change to read, “The Dean of the University shall appoint by December 1, 1998 a task force [delete: or charge an existing committee] with developing and recommending distance learning strategies to extend access to the university with an interim report due to the Dean by December, 1, 1999.
  • Goal X. was changed as follows:
  • Add Goal X.A.7. to read, “The President shall in an annual report to the university communicate the results of fund-raising efforts for the year.”
  • Goal XI. was changed as follows:
  • Notation: The President will consider adding an objective under this goal with creates an office for institutional research.
  • Goal XI.B. – change “President” to “Assessment Task Force”, change “the” to “its”, [delete: of the Assessment Task Force”] and add “with a final report by May 1. 2000” to the end of the sentence. Thus, it will now read, “The Assessment Task Force shall present for discussion and feedback its initial findings to the faculty and staff by the end of the fall 1999 semester with a final report by May 1, 2000.
  • Goal XI.C. – change the month from “March” to “April”.

Bill Taffe made a suggestion to replace Goal III.D. with his email proposal (see attached).

Leo agreed to work with the President to rewrite the Plan for the Plan and the vision statement.

It was agreed that the University Planning Committee will notify each party named in the strategic plan and make sure that progress is being made on each task/objective.

The meeting adjourned at 5:45 p.m.

The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, October 16, at 3:30 in HUB 123.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

September 18, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

September 18, 1998

Present: R. Bowers, S. Burrell, G. Carr, C. Chabot, B. Crangle, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, B. Taffe, C. Vascak, D. Wharton, E. Wixson

The minutes of September 4, 1998 were approved.

Leo Sandy noted that Dot Diehl had contacted him regarding the issue of part-time faculty. She is currently chairing a task force on this issue and asked that the University Planning Committee maintain regular communication with her. President Wharton noted that this task force has been charged with some specific tasks regarding part-time faculty, but doesn’t address all of the issues to which the strategic plan refers.

A review of the President’s and Cabinet’s Revisions began on a goal by goal basis. The results are as follows:

  • Goal I.B.2. was changed to, “The Curriculum Committee in consultation with the President’s Commission on Diversity will conduct a review to evaluate the integration of multi-cultural principles throughout the curriculum and report to the faculty by February 1, 1999.”
  • Goal I.C. was changed to, “The following groups shall devise plans and actions to engage the university in on-going discussion of issues of community by creating formal and informal opportunities for dialogue…”
  • Goal II.A.1. was changed to, “The Director of Financial Aid will monitor [delete, the effect of] the recent change(s)in the allocation of financial aid…”
  • Goal II.D.1. was changed to, “The Full-time matriculated undergraduate population shall be based on the instructional mission, the desirability and the carrying capacity of our academic facilities, our new Library and other institutional infrastructures as defined by the College’s Master Plan….”
  • Goal III.A.2. was changed to read, “The Orientation Steering Committee shall assess, evaluate, and recommend by the end of spring semester of 1999 appropriate changes to the orientation program in light of the above goal.”
  • Goal III.A.3. was changed to read, “By spring semester 2000 the Introduction to the Academic Community (IAC) course will address a community-building component [delete the remainder of the sentence].
  • Goal III.A.5. was change to, “The Residential Life staff will annually assess [delete, and report to the Dean for Student Affairs] the residential experience of first-year students and their integration into the academic community and make recommendations on the enhancement thereof to the Dean of Student Affairs.”
  • Goal III.C. Leo will redraft this objective to include a way of getting feedback from faculty.
  • Goal III.D. Does this need to be rewritten as an action goal? How can we facilitate this multi-cultural experience? We need a way to identify our self-imposed internal obstacles to course transfers.
  • Goal III.E. needs to be revised.
  • Goal IV. Divide objectives into three categories; administration, student, faculty/staff. Thus, 1 and 2 move to administration; 4 and 5 move to student; 3, 6 and 7 move to faculty/staff.
  • Goal IV.A.1. was changed to, “The President shall develop a university policy of zero tolerance for behavior directed toward victimizing individuals because of race, ethnicity, culture, or sexual orientation by September 1, 1999.”
  • Goal IV.A.3. was changed to add the President to the end of the objective.
  • Goal IV.A.4 was changed to add a deadline of September 1, 1999.
  • Goal IV.A.5. was changed to add a deadline of May 1, 1999.
  • Goal IV.A.6. was changed to add a deadline of January 1, 1999.
  • Goal V.A.2. was changed to, “By January 1, 2000 the Faculty Speaker and Executive Council shall take appropriate steps to ensure the following issues that relate to time-to-degree…”
  • Goal V.A.3. needs to be added as new.
  • Goal V.A.3. becomes V.A.3.a.
  • Goal V.A.4. becomes V.A.3.b.
  • Goal V.B. change “informational” to information.
  • Goal V.B.2. was changed, replace the Computer Advisory Board to the Dean of the College.
  • Goal V.C. needs to be added which addresses the Curriculum Resource Group submitting a recommendation to the Dean of the University as to how to administer and maintain the curriculum. Chris C. and Bill T. will create language for this.
  • Goal VIII.A.2. was changed to, [delete, to meet the future increases in enrollment of 10%] in order to be consistent with Goal II.D.1.

The meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.

Our next meeting is scheduled for October 2 at 3:30 p.m. in HUB 123. (At this time it will be necessary to complete the review of the document.)

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

September 4, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

September 4, 1998

Present:R. Bowers, S. Burrell, G. Carr, C. Chabot, B. Crangle, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, A. Staples, B. Taffe, C. Vascak, D. Wharton

1. Leo Sandy, Interim Chairperson, was elected to the position of the Chairperson for the academic year.

2. It was agreed that the meetings for the academic year remain on the first and third Fridays of the month and be scheduled from 3:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.

3. President Wharton distributed his memorandum and revisions to the strategic plan and briefly discussed his summary of changes. He suggested that we review the suggestions and email our individual comments to him with a copy to the other members of the committee. We will discuss our thoughts and reactions with the president at our next meeting on September 18. Once Version III has been completed, it will be added to our Web site and comments will be solicited from
the campus community.

4. In response to the “Plan for the Plan” document the President noted his concern for the creation of eleven new working groups. He did not want formal committees reporting to the CPC where the CPC’s function would become a coordinating instead of a planning function. Given that our intent was to stimulate discussion with other individuals, the President agreed that solicitation of input from various groups on an as-needed basis was an acceptable way to achieve our goal.

5. The President will be presenting a final draft of the strategic plan to the Board of Trustees in October.

6. The President requested that we revise the vision statement in the document, “A View to the Future”. He suggests that the new statement be more aspirational, inspirational, brief, lofty and definitional.

7. Given that our next meeting will be dedicated to a discussion of the President’s draft, Leo will extend an invitation to the Cabinet to join us.

8. It was agreed that the position of scribe be assigned on a semester basis. Terri Lessard agreed to continue in that role for the current semester and Cynthia Vascak volunteered for the Spring semester. Bill Crangle noted that he has a budget for our photocopying expenses.

9. Terri Lessard noted that she had contacted the Student Senate Office and left a message regarding the assignment of a student representative to the committee.

10. It was noted that a Faculty representative is needed for the replacement of Bill Benoit during his sabbatical this semester. Leo will contact David Kent, Faculty Speaker. It was also noted that Bill Taffe and Chris Chabot have been granted sabbaticals during the Spring semester.

11. The meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.

12. Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, September 18 at 3:30 p.m. in HUB 123.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

July 30, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

July 30, 1998

Present: S. Burrell, G. Carr, T. Lessard, A. Mazur, L. Sandy, C. Vascak

  1. Leo Sandy chaired the meeting in the absence of Bill Benoit.
  2. The minutes of June 26, 1998 were accepted.
  3. The email comments received, which reference the Version II draft of the strategic plan, were reviewed. Given that this Version II draft was previously delivered to the President and Cabinet for review, it was agreed that our resulting suggestions and recommendations would be added to the document and highlighted by italics for ease in identification. The resulting new draft would be given to the President and Cabinet.
  4. The following changes are suggested in reference to the email comments:
  • Change VII.B.2.a. by adding the phrase “including, but not limited to, the identification of characteristics for a model work environment and a hostile work environment” to the end of the objective.
  • Add VI.D.8. to state, “Review the development and distribution of guidelines for professional development funding.”
  • Add VII.C.4. to state, “Review the development and distribution of guidelines for professional development funding.”
  • Add I.D. to state, “Continue to promote good relations between PSU and the Town of Plymouth.”
  • Add III.F. to state, “Develop innovative programs that better fit students with diverse work and home schedules including, but not limited to, distance learning, advanced placement, asynchronous learning, student-centered learning, and collaborative learning.”
  • Change IV.B.2. to read, “Ensure that X proportion of the financial aid is available for these populations.”
  • Add VIII.D.5. to read, “Prepare an assessment of consumable supply needs and consider the implementation of consumable supply fees per course as appropriate. These supply fees would be returned to the department that delivers the course. The funds can only be invested in consumable supplies.”
  • Change VIII.D.2. by adding the phrase, “of all academic and laboratory equipment” into the objective.
  • Change VI.E. by adding the word, “instructional” thus, becoming “professional instructional staff”.
  • Change VII.F. by removing the work, “key” in “key leadership positions”.
  1. Have we adequately addressed specific outcomes for each goal? Suggestions?

Note: Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, September 4, 2:30 – 3:30, HUB 119.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

June 1, 1998

April 13th, 2011 by JJ

June 1, 1998

Present: Bill Benoit, Gail Carr, Chris Chabot, Terri Lessard, Cynthia Vascak, Ed Wixson

  • Minutes of May 29, 1998 were accepted.
  • Discussion on Goal 6 continued from last meeting.
    • Add D.1. to read, “Attain salary parity with peer institutions.”
    • Add D.2. to read, “Add a mentoring/coaching/staff development program for the advancement of women and minorities into key leadership positions.”
    • Add D.3. to read, “Determine a reasonable balance between course/preparation loads in compliance with accreditation guidelines.”
    • Add D.4. to read, “The Dean of the University will review equity of faculty credit loads for laboratory-type courses relative to contact hours and preparation hours.”
    • Add D.5. to read, “Ensure equity in the allocation of the advisee load.”
    • Add D.6. to read, “The Dean of the University shall review the allocation of administrative release time to ensure equitable distribution relative to workload.”
    • Add D.7. to read, “Each department shall evaluate the optimum class size for each specific course in order to increase productivity of faculty, decrease reliance on part-time lecturers and decrease faculty semester overload.”
    • E.1. Change the number of committee members from seven to five and delete “and two PATs”. List Dean of the University before Director of Finance. Delete “to develop the proposal described above”. Change “chaired by the Director of Finance” to “chaired by the Dean of the College”. Change the word “report” to “present”. The objective will now read, “The President will appoint a committee of five persons consisting of the Dean of the College, Director of Finance and three faculty members (at least one Department Chair). This committee shall be chaired by the Dean of the University and present to the University a preliminary plan by February 1, 1999 and a final plan by May 1, 1999.”
    • E.2. Change “Director of Finance” to “Cabinet” and delete the third sentence which begins with “Aspects of the plan…”
  • Add F. to read, “The Dean of the University shall provide budgeted teaching positions for a minimum of 80% of the courses offered by each department.”
  • Goal IX was revisited for discussion.
    • Add B.1. “Consider digital-based distance learning strategies to extend access to the college.”
    • B.1. becomes B.2.
    • B.2. becomes B.3.
  • It was agreed that Version II of the plan will be made available on the Web and comments will be collected until Friday, June 12.
  • A special two-hour meeting with the President and Cabinet will be scheduled, and the plan will be delivered and discussed. Our next meeting will be schedule contingent upon this.

Respectfully submitted,
Terri Lessard, Scribe

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Building Excitement

Get an inside look at PSU’s newest building.

Example Image

A New Day, A New Way of Giving

Thanks to life in the digital age, when information is as close as a swipe and a tap away, old-school philanthropy has been turned on its head. Donors want—and can find—more information about the causes and organizations they support. They want to feel confident that their gift is going to make a difference; and with […]

Example Image

From Korea with Gratitude

When Dan Lee stepped off the plane in California back in 1990, the 20-year-old South Korean émigré was seeking the American dream. After earning an advanced degree in economics, he accepted a job offer at PSU, believing the small-town New England setting would be a good place to raise his young family. As an associate […]