Addictions Treatment

DescriptionDegree OptionsAdmission RequirementsRegistration
Plymouth State offers a three-course graduate certificate program in Addictions Treatment that provides educational coursework that aligns with NH’s Master’s Level Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MLADC) license, when taken in conjunction with the MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling courses. The program serves Clinical Mental Health Counseling students with an interest in attaining the educational requirements for this credential. Students can add these three courses within the confines of their 63 credit MS program.

The certificate program is also designed for licensed clinical professionals in the field who would like to add this professional credential. The coursework offered through the Addictions Treatment Certificate fulfills approximately half of the educational credits required for licensure in the State of New Hampshire. Interested candidates are encouraged to check with the Licensing Regulations and New Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Use Professionals to understand if previously taken courses fulfill the additional NH State educational requirements for licensing.

Additionally, coursework/trainings focusing on specific areas such as HIV/AIDS and SUD Ethics may need to occur beyond the Addictions Treatment Certificate Program based on individual students’ previous education and requirements of the New Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Use Professionals.

This certificate program provides specialized education to treat individuals with addictions and related disorders and is in alignment with the professional licensing standards for alcohol and other drug abuse counselors. The Addictions Treatment Certificate Program is nine credits.

Students who are already licensed clinical professionals in the field who would like to add this professional credential can take the nine credit certificate program by itself. Students who are currently enrolled in PSU’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling program can add these three courses within their 63 credit master’s degree.

Required Courses

Total for Addictions Treatment – 9 credits

Requirements for the Addictions Treatment Certificate only

  • Official transcripts showing conferral of bachelor’s degree
  • Maintain a 3.0 GPA or better in the required courses
  • Completion of application for admission

Students who wish to add the Addictions Treatment certificate to their current MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling should speak with their advisor.

Summer 2018 Registration – Opens April 16
Fall 2018 Registration – Opens April 16

Did you know PSU allows you to take up to 12 credits of graduate coursework before applying to most programs? So whether you are admitted to a program or just want to try a class, you can get started today!

Search for classes – the Office of the Registrar handles the course registration process – more information is available by visiting their website where you can check out the current course schedule by clicking on the “Course Offerings” tab, and using the first “Class Schedule Search” option. Simply select the current term from the drop down menu which will then allow you to search for classes in a variety of ways.

Register Online – Registration can be completed online through the myPlymouth portal if you are a current/active student or have been admitted to a graduate program. Be sure to have your user name, password, and the course number and title handy. At the end of the registration process you will be notified of your billing due date. Specific instructions for completing the online registration can be found on the Registrar’s website under the “How to Register” tab.

New to PSU? If you are taking your first graduate class at PSU and have not been admitted to a graduate program, you will need to complete the paper registration form which can be found under the “Registration Forms” tab. Completed forms should be submitted directly to the Office of the Registrar via email to or faxed to 603-535-2724.

Graduate Tuition Rates – Tuition for graduate coursework is calculated on a per credit rate based on residency status. Click here to see the current tuition costs.