Play Therapy

Play Therapy can be added as a concentration to the MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MS in Marriage and Family Therapy, MEd in School Counseling and MEd in School Psychology programs or pursued as a stand-alone graduate certificate.

This is a post-master’s certificate designed to provide school and mental health counselors and school psychologists with useful, research-based tools and techniques to help children and adolescents through a variety of social, emotional, behavioral, and learning difficulties, including post-traumatic stress disorder, conduct disorder, aggression or impulsive anger, anxiety, depression, ADHD, and low self-esteem.


Fall 2017
CO 7560 Grief & Loss in Play Therapy (1 cr)
Instructor: Barbara van Hoff
Friday October 27 and Saturday, October 28, 2017; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Concord

This course offers an in-depth study of a particular topic, contemporary issue or concern. The course will be taught by a specialist within the field being studied. A faculty member can also coordinate a series of guest speakers who will meaningfully address the topic. Since topics vary, the course may be repeated with permission of the instructor.


Note: A one-credit PSU play therapy course is equivalent to 22.5 education hours towards the 150 required by the Association for Play Therapy.



PSU’s play therapy courses prepare post-master’s counseling professionals and master’s degree students with prior coursework in counseling children with the necessary 150-hour educational requirement to gain the Registered Play Therapist credential through the Association for Play Therapy.

Registered Play Therapists and Registered Play Therapists-Supervisors are licensed or certified practitioners, including school-based counselors, who have earned a master’s degree or advanced mental health degree; have taken 150 or more hours of specialized play therapy training; and have documented 500 hours of clinical and play therapy specific experience under supervision with a Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor. Supervision is not provided by the University, but is available from Registered Play Therapist-Supervisors in the area.

Required Courses

Students take four, one-credit special topics courses
Total for Play Therapy – 8 credits

Getting started is easy!

Apply today or request more info.