Students who complete degree programs in the Plymouth State University Department of Biological Sciences will demonstrate:
- An understanding of the scientific method as the means to increase understanding of the natural world through hypothesis-testing. Our BS programs require more background in chemistry and physics in support of this outcome, while our BA program allows for greater breadth.
- An aptitude for critically reading scientific literature, including primary research journals.
- Proficiency in writing, especially in scientific format.
- An ability to present scientific information orally with emphasis on clear interpretation of scientific data.
- Proficiency in techniques specific to a subdiscipline of biology, including but not limited to laboratory, field, and statistical techniques.
- An understanding of the critical issues facing the environment at local, regional, national, and global scales.
- Biological literacy allowing for the evaluation of new information and emerging issues.
- Readiness for post-graduate experiences in graduate school, professional school, or biology employment.