Plymouth Academic Support Services (PASS)
- is offered for most introductory courses (subject to tutor availability).
- is not offered for math and writing. However, Math assistance is available through the Math Activities Center in Hyde 351; and Writing assistance is available through the Writing Center in Lamson Library.
- is provided either on a one-to-one basis or in small groups.
- is open to all undergraduate students.
- has additional hours available for SSS- (TRIO) eligible students.
- is a service, not an accommodation, and it can be a valuable part of students’ academic experience if they are willing to work hard.
- does not guarantee a passing grade. Students are responsible for their own grades.
- Peer tutors provide academic support either individually or in small groups.
- Tutors encourage students to become independent learners by using active study strategies.
- Tutors work very hard to establish a positive learning environment for their peers.
- Initial tutoring sessions are held at the PASS office in The Lamson Learning Commons, Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and off-site by appointment.
- At PASS, it is our policy that tutoring is not available during the summer. Tutors are generally unavailable, and our professional staff is reduced during the summer terms. However, exceptions may be made in special circumstances if both the Tutor Coordinator and a tutor are available.
- Complete a log for each tutoring session.
- Communicate with your students regularly.
- Communicate with the tutor coordinator regularly.
- Professional conduct.
- Keep all information confidential.
- Current PSU students interested in helping peers.
- 0 GPA,
- Faculty recommendation,
Students who are interested in tutoring should meet with the Tutor Coordinator at PASS to complete an application. Stop by The Lamson Learning Commons, or callext. x52270, to schedule an appointment.