Academic Advising Support

Academic Advising

All students that come in with majors are assigned a faculty advisor. All students that come in undeclared are assigned an academic and career advisor.

  • Faculty Advisors are assigned based on majors. You can change advisors at any time, but we try to pair you up with someone who has more knowledge of your program so they can make the best recommendations on classes.
  • Academic and Career Advisors work to help you complete some exploratory, and first-year classes in your first semester at PSU.
  • You will me with your advisor over the summer, and during the fall semester, to talk about different subjects that may interest you. From there, your advisor can make recommendations on courses.
  • Undeclared students have until second semester their sophomore year to declare a major.

Whether you have a Faculty Advisor or an Academic and Career Advisor, you can meet with them at any time throughout the semester. They are here to help with academics as well as social and emotional support. They can:

  • make recommendations on clubs and events,
  • help you find other helpful resources on campus
  • navigate difficult conversations,
  • act as accountability partners,
  • help get you back on track, and so much more

Unsure of how to find out who your advisor is? There are a couple of ways to access this information:

  • Navigate (you can use the web browser or download the app)
  • Degree Works
    • Log in to myPlymouth > Services > Student (inside Self Service box) > Student Academic Record/Registration > Degree Works
    • At the very top of your Degree Works, your advisor’s name is listed

Degree Works is a great way to see what courses you need to take throughout your time at PSU. It can be kind of confusing the first couple of times you use it, but your advisor is more than happy to go over it with you. An easy way to book an appointment with your advisor is to send them an email to see when they are free to meet.

The Academic and Career Advising Center

Our website has a lot of useful information for you. Click here to visit our sharepoint site. You can also get to the site by logging in to myPlymouth, and clicking on the Advising tab up at the top.

What services do we offer?

We work with more than just first-year students! Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, continuing education, etc are all welcome to come see us. We can help you with:

  • Changing your advisor
  • Degree Completion Audits
  • Declaring/Changing your major
  • Declaring your minor
  • Registering for classes/making sure you’re in the right amount of credits for the semester

Key Information For Success at Plymouth State

Each semester, students should take at least 15 credits. Students can take 15-18 credits a semester. Each year, students will want to make sure they have at least 30 credits total between the two semesters. This keeps them on track to graduate within four years. (15 credits x 8 semesters = 120 credits needed to graduate)

Advice From Advisors

  • Check your PSU email regularly
  • Talk to your professors early on
  • Meet with your advisor

Campus Resources:

We have a number of resources on campus to students at no extra cost. It’s all included in your tuition!

Other Helpful Support Services:

Transferring Credits:

Did you take a class for college credit in high school? Or just transferring in credits from a community college/other institution? Did you get a 3 or above on your AP exams?

For AP credit transfers, all you have to do is login into your College Board account, and select Plymouth State as the school you want your score(s) sent to. From there, our registrar’s office will process that and send you an email to let you know what those credits will count towards.

  • Ie: AP U.S. History tends to satisfy the Past and Present direction requirement

For all other transfer credits, please click here for more information on our processes.