What is a tax I.D. number? Do I need one?

September 23rd, 2011 by Michael

Business tax I.D. numbers (or Employer Identification Number/EIN) are issued by the Internal Revenue Service for the purpose of identifying employers. Since business numbers are not issued by the State of New Hampshire*, many small businesses obtain an EIN for use in purchasing merchandise and supplies at wholesale prices. To obtain a tax I.D. number, you will need to fill out Form SS-4. You can find this form on-line (pdf) or at a CPA’s or tax preparer’s office. You may submit the form online, mail it in, or file by telephone at (978) 474-9717.

*The State of New Hampshire does assign State Employer Identification Numbers in order to process State Unemployment taxes.

Do you need assistance with:

  • Writing a business plan
  • Marketing
  • Financial Analysis
  • Accounting

Contact the SBSC for help!