Alumni Profile: Danielle Gannon (Class of 2013)

November 16th, 2015 by Amelia

danielle gannon picture

Danielle Gannon graduated from Plymouth State in 2013 with a B.S. in Computer Science and a minor in General Mathematics. She now works as a Software Engineer for the Advanced Development Department at EFI Vutek.

Can you tell us a bit about what your typical workweek is like in your current job?

I stroll into work around 8:30am – 9ish. I usually have a boat load of emails from the Software Quality Assurance group that work third shift and test our software. After coming to life, I start where I left off on my most recent projects. Typically I’m working on 2-3 projects back to back. I spend a lot of time on my computer using mostly Excel, MySQL, C++, and Python. My job requires a lot of hands on work, which I love. We have many laboratories where I get to run million dollar, school bus sized printers. There are times where I spend all day at my desk and other times that I spend all week operating a printer. I tend to have an average of 2-3 meetings a week, sometimes more or less depending on project deadlines and release dates. In my two years working here I have had many business trips including Cincinnati, Dallas, Orlando, Houston, Atlanta, Denver, and Brussels, Belgium!

Tell us about some cool projects you’ve worked on since graduating.

I have the privilege to work in the Advanced Development Department, so ALL of the projects are cool! What I have been working on most recently is writing software that aligns these inkjet printers. When printing with an inkjet printer you need to have everything aligned properly in order to have ink lay down on paper in the exact location. And I’m not talking just mechanically aligned, there are values in the database that affect ink droplet timing, carriage speed, etc. The software I write uses an onboard camera that takes pictures of where the ink droplets land, and finds the error between where it landed and where it should have landed. Everything else after that is magic.

How did Plymouth State help prepare you for your job?

Plymouth was able to provide me with a solid background of programming and computer theory. The key to scoring the job is a great cover letter and resume, which I learned a lot about in the Career Explorations course.

What are some of your favorite memories of your experience at Plymouth State?

I love the atmosphere. PSU is beautiful in the fall and makes the commute worth while. I personally enjoyed spring time when the snow cleared up and it was time to celebrate the annual Spring Fling concert. Okay… winter was awesome too because Cannon Mountain is right up the road!

What other things do you do for fun in your free time?

I love snowboarding in the winter and riding my dirtbike in the summer. Now that I travel a lot for work, I have a passion for exploring new places.

What advice would you give to current CS/IT students?

Don’t let school take over your life. Find time to breathe and enjoy other hobbies. Once you graduate and get a full time job, you might not have the time! Also, keep your chin up when it’s time to find a job. I applied to my job a week before Christmas and didn’t get hired until the following March! Graduate college, get a full time job, and I promise you’ll be happy with your choice of a CS/IT degree.

Contact Us

Computer Science & Technology Department

Memorial Hall 202
Department Chair:
Zhizhang Shen

Phone 603-535-2533
FAX 603-535-2282
Email zshen@plymouth.edu

Mailing Address
17 High Street
MSC 41
Plymouth, NH 03264

News & Events

Alumni Profile: Alexis Dupree (Class of 2014)

Alumni Profile: Ryley Ameden (Class of 2014)