Example Image

How can I become involved?

The PSU motto “Ut prosim” (“That I may serve”) is alive and well in our department. You will find many ways to be involved in the department, the university, and the community beyond. You can join the PSU chapter of ASCD and travel to state, regional or national conferences, or participate in their campus and […]

Example Image

Will I automatically be certified as a public school teacher if I major in Elementary Education?

Students who wish to earn certification through the State of New Hampshire and NCATE must successfully complete all requirements for the degree, including student teaching. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.50 is required for admission into Teacher Education candidacy, and candidates are required to have a 2.70 grade point average to student teach. […]

Example Image

Will I be able to teach in a public school outside New Hampshire if I earn my certification?

New Hampshire is a member of the Interstate Certification Contract. Students who wish to earn certification in another state must apply to that state’s department of education in order for their certification to be transferable.

Example Image

What other jobs, besides teaching, are available to Elementary Education graduates?

Childhood Studies graduates often work as parks and recreation administrators, school/family liaisons, children’s museum educational programmers, community program service providers/administrators, classroom assistants and family support providers. Students who major in Elementary Education but choose not to teach in a traditional classroom often pursue career paths similar to those of Childhood Studies majors.

Example Image

What if I want to teach high school?

Elementary Education majors are not eligible for certification to teach high school. To be qualified to teach high school students must earn a major in their field of study, then complete a student teaching experience. Students who wish to teach high school science, math, English, social studies or other subjects can earn teacher certification through […]

Example Image

Should I complete a minor in another subject?

We encourage Childhood Studies students to select a minor that complements the major in achieving career goals. Suggested minors are listed in the Academic Catalog (pages 114-115). Elementary Education majors who wish to teach middle school must meet the requirements in the content area they have chosen to become Highly Qualified under No Child Left […]

Example Image

How are Elementary Education and Childhood Studies students assessed?

In addition to regular methods of assessment utilized in courses throughout each semester of study, you will be required to keep a portfolio of your academic work over the four years you are here. Keeping a portfolio of your work will help you reflect on your experience as a student, no matter what future career […]

Contact Us

Department of Elementary Education and Childhood Studies

Chair: Alison Wenhart

034 Rounds Hall, Lower Level
8 a.m.–4 p.m., M–F

Phone: 603-535-2285
Fax: 603-535-2879
Email: bgleich@plymouth.edu (Brenda Gleich, Administrative Assistant)

Mailing Address
17 High Street
MSC 38
Plymouth, NH 03264