Philosophy provides opportunity for students to critically think about ultimate questions of life. The philosophy program emphasizes philosophical thinking and ethical applications designed to prepare graduates for a variety of careers that require thinking, decision-making, and visionary development. Students will pursue philosophical questions about themselves, others, and their living and learning environments.
We provide an intellectually stimulating community that prepares students for living and working in the world with others. The philosophy major is an applied program that emphasizes ethics; it is a stand-alone major but it is also designed to permit students to double major in other academic areas, thus providing students with a focused degree that cultivates an ethical and active citizen in the marketplace of ideas, home, government, and business.
By graduation, students who have majored in philosophy will be able to:
- Identify key movements, figures, and problems in the history of philosophy.
- Analyze and evaluate classical through contemporary philosophical writing.
- Illustrate competent writing skills in various forms of writing (expository, critical, logical, and rhetorical).
- Demonstrate ethical and rhetorical skills in discussions and oral presentations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and appreciation for, the value of philosophy in our personal lives and in our contemporary world.
As a philosophy major you’ll experience:
- An emphasis on ethical theory and applied ethics;
- Coursework that explores ethics, philosophical discourse, great philosophers, philosophical movements, and walking philosophy into the marketplace.
- Opportunities to enhance critical thinking, writing, speaking skills;
- Dynamic conversations with engaged faculty
- Opportunities to serve the PSU and local community through philosophical debate, discussion, and dialectic;
- Prepare for any career where you work with or serve others (locally and/or globally), engage decision-making, make arguments, or design ideas and opportunities.