The Pre-licensure RN program is for students who do not already hold a registered nurse license. The curriculum is structured for students to complete pre-requisite, general education and elective courses prior to starting nursing courses in the Winterim semester of the Junior year. Nursing courses then extend through the summer between junior and senior year with a rigorous academic schedule. See Progression and Graduation requirement below.
Admittance to the Program is competitive. Nursing applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Spaces are limited so students are encouraged to complete and submit their applications early.
Progression in Nursing Requirements
- A minimum grade of C in all nursing prerequisite courses
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA in all prerequisite courses
- Students must obtain a final grade of a B- (80-82) or greater in all nursing theory courses and earn a PASS in all clinical nursing (NR) courses in order to progress in the major
- Once the nursing course sequence begins, students must achieve a grade of B- or higher in all nursing (NR) theory courses and a PASS in all nursing (NR) clinical courses to progress in the program. Students who fail to achieve a minimum grade of B- in any nursing theory course, or receive a Non-Pass in a clinical/lab course may not progress in the nursing program until the course is successfully repeated.
Progression to the clinical portion of the program (Winterim of junior year)
The clinical portion of the nursing program begins with a 2-credit Winterim (January term) course in the junior year. Beginning in the spring semester of the junior year, the nursing major is full-time, for four consecutive terms (i.e., spring, summer, fall, and spring). Students are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN© licensure exam following the completion of the program. In order to progress to the nursing sequence and continue in the program, students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all prerequisite courses and maintain a 2.5 grade-point average.
Students who progress to the nursing sequence, must do the following in preparation for nursing clinical coursework:
- Purchase uniforms at PSU Bookstore
- Complete department criteria for criminal background checks.
- Provide Proof of Immunizations:
Students must have all required immunizations completed and current prior to beginning nursing clinical courses: TB, Varicella, MMR, Hepatitis B series (HEPVAC). HEPVAC requires that the series start approximately one year in advance of starting the nursing course sequence to ensure the six-month series is entirely complete by January.
- Be certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for health care providers prior to beginning the nursing courses and re-certified as necessary until after graduation. CPR card must state Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer.
- Willing and able to travel outside of the Plymouth area to complete the nursing clinical courses and provide own transportation.
- Provide proof of current health insurance
* Students are responsible for costs of criminal background check, immunizations and health insurance.
- Credits in the major: 56 credit hours. All nursing courses (courses beginning with NR) must be taken at PSU
- Graduation: 120 credit hours are required to complete the B.S.