Progression in Nursing Requirements
- A minimum grade of C in all nursing prerequisite courses
- Maintain a 2.67 (B-) GPA in all prerequisite courses
- Students must obtain a final grade of a B- (80-82) or greater in all nursing theory courses and earn a PASS in all clinical nursing (NR) courses in order to progress in the major
Progression to the clinical portion of the program (Winterim of junior year)
The clinical portion of the nursing program begins with a 2-credit Winterim (January term) course in the junior year. Beginning in the spring semester of the junior year, the nursing major is full-time, 16 credits for four consecutive terms (i.e., spring, summer, fall, and spring). Students are eligible to sit for the RN licensure exam following the completion of the program. In order to progress to the nursing sequence and continue in the program, students must:
- earn a minimum grade of “B-” in all prerequisite and required nursing courses and maintain a 2.67 grade-point average cumulative in the major.
- purchase uniforms at PSU Bookstore
- complete department criteria for criminal background checks.
- provide Proof of Immunization: Students must have all required immunizations completed and current prior to beginning nursing clinical courses: TB, Varicella, MMR, Hepatitis B series (HEPVAC). HEPVAC requires that the series start around the time of application submission to ensure the six-month series is entirely complete by January.
- be certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for health care providers prior to beginning the nursing courses and re-certified as necessary until after graduation. CPR card must state Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer.
- willing and able to travel outside of the Plymouth area to complete the clinical experiences and provide own transportation.
- provide proof of current health insurance
* Students are responsible for costs of criminal background check, immunizations and health insurance.
- Credits in the major: 66 credit hours. The last 10 courses must be taken at PSU (30 credits).
- Graduation: 120 credit hours are required to complete the B.S. in Nursing and a minimum of 2.67 GPA in the major and grade of “B-” or better is required in all nursing courses.