During an earthquake, remain calm and quickly follow the steps outlined below:
- If indoors, seek refuge in a doorway or under a desk or table. Stay away from glass windows, shelves, and heavy equipment.
- If outdoors, move quickly away from buildings, utility poles, and other structures. Caution: Always avoid power or utility lines as they may be energized. Know your assembly points.
- If in an automobile, stop in the safest place available, preferably away from structures, power lines, and trees. Stop as quickly as safety permits, but stay in the vehicle for the shelter it offers.
- After the initial shock, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is necessary, call 911. Protect yourself at all times and be prepared for aftershocks.
- Damaged facilities should be reported to Physical Plant at ext. 52254 or (603) 535-2254 or 911.
- If an emergency exists, activate the building alarm.
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded, walk to the nearest marked exit and ask others to do the same.
- Do not use the elevators. They may have been damages in the quake.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.