PSU has redundant electrical systems in most of our buildings which generally keep power interruptions to a minimum. Physical Plant and the Co-Gen Plant have procedures in place for dealing with power outages and the resumption of power.
In the event of a power failure, you should do the following:
- Remain calm. If the outage lasts more than a few minutes, contact Physical Plant at ext. 52254 or (603) 535-2254 on a cell phone.
- Do not light candles or use any other open flames to illuminate the area. Emergency lights are designed to illuminate hallways and stairwells for 90 minutes or more, so safe travel through the buildings will not be immediately compromised.
- If you need additional assistance to exit a building that does not have a working elevator, contact Physical Plant.
- If it is determined that an outage will last for an appreciable amount of time:
- Unplug all electrical equipment, especially computers, and turn off all light switches.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments, close all fume hoods and chemical containers, unplug all equipment, and turn off gases.
- Decisions to cancel classes or to close buildings will be made by following the closing and notification procedures noted previously in this handbook.
- Any decisions to send staff home early will be made only with the involvement of the Administration and Human Resources.
- If you are trapped in an elevator:
- Stay calm. Use the emergency phone in the elevator cab to contact police dispatch for assistance. You can also contact Physical Plant at (603) 535-2254.
- If others are trapped in an elevator:
- Advise them to stay calm.
- Call Physical Plant at (603) 535-2254 or University Police at (603) 535-2330.
- If any passengers are injured, dial 911.
- If it is safe to stay in the building, remain near the elevator car and maintain communications with the passengers until assistance arrives.