Associate Professor of Education; Department Chair, Elementary Education and Childhood Studies
BA, EdD, Arizona State University; MEd, Northern Arizona University
Rounds Hall 124D
About Professor Wenhart, Chair of the Department of Elementary Education and Childhood Studies
Dr. Alison Wenhart joined the PSU faculty in 2011 and is focused on best practice in the elementary classroom. Her research interests include preparing teachers to work with students of diverse backgrounds; she imbeds the concepts of social justice and diversity into all of her courses. She is currently serving as the faculty advisor for the ASCD student chapter and thoroughly enjoys supporting her pre-service teachers as they build professional contacts, and develop a love of life-long learning.
- Kopish, M & Wenhart, A. (2014). Igniting justice: The skilled and empowered voice of social studies.” New Hampshire Journal of Education (17).
- Wenhart, A. (2014). Children Have the Right to Say! Paper presented at ASCD Conference, Grapevine, TX. June 27.
- Wenhart, A. 2013. Making the most of the mentor-mentee relationship.” New Teacher Advocate: Kappa Delta Pi, Fall.
- Wenhart, A. & Kopish, Michael (2013) Children have the right to say! Paper presented at The National Council of Social Studies. St. Louis, MO. November 22-24.
- Wenhart, A. (2013). Same content, different outcome: Using a different teaching model to promote higher order thinking in students. New Hampshire Journal of Education (16).
- Wenhart, A. (2012). The importance of mentoring in urban education” New Hampshire Journal of Education (15).
Awards or Recognition
- Nominated for Distinguished Educator, Plymouth State University 2011-2012
- Nominated for Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2005
- Nominated for Outstanding Faculty Member, Arizona State University Polytechnic 2005
- Nominated for Teacher of the Year, Arizona State University Polytechnic 2004
- Outstanding Education Faculty Member, Arizona State University Polytechnic 2003
- Foundations of Diversity
- Social Studies Methods
- Introduction to Education
- Foundations of Education
- Student Teacher Seminar