Teaching Lecturer, Music- Trumpet
BA, University of New Hampshire
MM, Jazz Trumpet
Office: Silver Center for the Arts 304
A graduate of the University of New Hampshire (BA Classical Trumpet) and the University of Miami (MM Jazz Trumpet), Chris Klaxton is currently a music faculty member of the University of Southern Maine, Plymouth State University, and Portsmouth Music and Arts Center.
A student of Brian Lynch, Terence Blanchard, Jason Carder, Dr. Robert Stibler, Stephen Guerra, Whit Sidener, and Gary Lindsay, Chris has received a rich and varied education in trumpet technique, improvisation, jazz piano / theory, and composition.
Perhaps the most significant and fortunate musical relationship of Klaxton’s career is that with famed trumpeter, Dr. Clark Terry. Years of study, several years as valet / travel manager, and more than a decade of friendship with Clark, has left Chris saturated with lessons and anecdotes (musical and otherwise). Chris is proud to pass on a repertoire unique to Clark, a system of phrasing and rhythmic pronunciation, and a means of conveyance handed down directly from one of the founding fathers of the music.
As a performer:
- Chris has recorded two albums of original material under his own name
- Founded and performs with OURBIGBAND (17 Piece Jazz Orchestra)
- Performs with In Ears and Eyes, experimental performing ensemble featuring live “jazz painter” Roger Goldenberg and examining the dialog between sound and sight
- Performs and records with indie rock band, Tan Vampires (trumpet / guitar / perc / vox)
- Has performed as soloist alongside Clark Terry and Dave Douglas
- Records with Boston MCEE, Moe Pope (Best Hip Hop Act – Boston Music Awards 2012, 2013
- Has also recorded with the Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra for Pharrell Williams, Randy Bernsen (featured alongside John Medeski), Steve Grover, George Garzone, Christine Correa, Frank Carlberg, Allen Lowe, Matthew Shipp, and Michael Gregory Jackson
- Chris has recently been appointed to the position of Choir / Music Director at First Parish Federated Church in South Berwick, Maine
- Has recently been appointed by the New Hampshire Council on the Arts to the NH Teaching Artists Roster
- Directs the student-organized Jazz Ensemble at St. Anselm College in Manchester, NH
- Has recently been appointed to the Board of Directors of the Clark Terry Foundation