David A. Mackey
Professor of Criminal Justice
BS, University of Lowell; MA, University of Massachusetts; PhD, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Office: Mary Lyon Hall, room 034K
Phone: (603) 535-3193
Spring office hours:
Monday & Wednesday 12:30pm – 1:45pm
Friday 10:00am – 10:50am in Hyde 334E
Friday 12:15pm – 1:00pm in Mary Lyon 034K
or by appointment
About David Mackey
David A. Mackey is a Professor of Criminal Justice at Plymouth State University. He received his Bachelor of Science and Masters of Arts degrees in Criminal Justice from the University of Massachusetts Lowell. He earned his Ph.D. in Criminology from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He is a lifetime member of the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences and the Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences. He co-edited Crime Prevention, published by Jones and Bartlett, with Kristine Levan in 2013. With Kathryn Elvey, he recently co-edited Society, ethics, and the law: A text reader.
- Mackey, D. A. Rational-based policies and irrational actors: An examination of recent tragedies at domestic military installations, houses of worship, and schools. In E. S. See, C. M. Bellas, & S. A. See (Eds.), Guns 360. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Courtright, K. E. & Mackey, D. A. (2020). Making methods relevant: Undergraduate research methods and the content analysis project. Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Innovative Pedagogy. 2, Available at: https://digitalcommons.humboldt.edu/sotl_ip /vol2/iss1/5
- Mackey, D. A. & Elvey, K. (Eds.). (2021). Society, ethics, and the law: A text reader. Jones and Bartlett Publishing.
- Mackey, D. A. & Levan, K. (2019). Moral dilemmas and worst-case scenarios: Using post-
- apocalyptic fiction to teach criminal justice ethics. The Journal of Criminal Justice
- Education, 30(3), 319-332.
- Mackey, David & Courtright, Kevin (2012). Connecting academic criminal justice to the practitioner perspective: The efficacy of the professional interview published in The Journal of Criminal Justice Education.
- Mackey, David & Smith, Michael (2012) X-ray scanning, wiretaps, and other searches: College students’ perceptions of the reasonableness and intrusiveness of homeland security searches published in Criminal Justice Studies: A Critical Journal of Crime, Law and Society, Special Issue Homeland Security Ten Years After 9/11.
- Courtright, Kevin, Mackey, David & Packard, Susan. (2011). Criminal justice job desirability among incoming freshmen: Exploring relationships between personal characteristics and occupational attractiveness published in Corrections Compendium.
Awards or recognition
- Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences, Immediate Past President, 2020-2021
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences Assessment Mentor
- Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences Regional Fellow’s Award, 2011
CJ 1020 Criminal Justice in Action
CJ 1060 Technology in Criminal Justice
CJ 2080 Crime and Criminals
CJ 3155 Society, Ethics & the Law
CJ 4805 Criminal Justice Seminar
SO 2080 Crime and Criminals