Mary Ann McGarry
Tourism, Environment, and Sustainable Development
Affiliated with Center for the Environment
Plymouth State University
17 High Street
Plymouth, NH 03264-1595
Office: 218B Boyd Science Center
Spring Office Hours
Tuesdays 1:00-2:30 pm
Wednesdays 9:00-11:00 am, and 1:00-2:00 pm
or by appointment
- B.A., Environmental Education, Dartmouth College
- M.S., Earth Science, Northern Arizona University
- Ed.D., Science Education, University of Maine
Mary Ann considers herself an environmental educator who is committed to globalizing her classrooms. She has led short courses, semester long programs, and partnership building teams; participated in visiting fellowships, conferences and workshops to; and hosted delegations from: Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Ecuador, India, Ireland, Pakistan, Finland, and Russia. McGarry served as Director of Education for Maine Lakes Conservancy Institute, 2000-2004, and founded Maine Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) and served as the state coordinator from 1995 to 2005, as part of a joint appointment within the University of Maine higher education system. She completed a fellowship with the Cypriot government in 2001 to work on water conservation education. She helped direct a 5-year National Science Foundation (NSF) funded project entitled Maine Math Science Teaching Excellence Collaborative and served as an advisor to another NSF multi-year initiative — the Bioregional Outdoor Education Project in the Four Corners area of the United States. From 2007 – 2009, Mary Ann served as Director of Education for the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation as part of a joint appointment with PSU. She served as a faculty member for the Pakistani Educational Leadership Institute on the PSU campus for 9 summers assisting with place-based community initiatives around environmental stewardship and cultural heritage preservation. In 2012 McGarry spent a semester in Turino, Italy with 14 PSU students on a green environmental service learning projects developing a sustainable plan for a 16th century castle. In 2013 McGarry received a Study Abroad Italy Faculty Fellowship to study hazards and mitigation plans of active volcanoes. Recently McGarry has become interested in studying climate change literacy as part of an informal National Science Foundation grant.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Lake Science Educators: http://e4research.org/files/McGarry-Kahl-Shannon%20in%20LakeLine%202013.pdf
- Question and Answers in Plymouth Magazine: http://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/issue/spring-2009/qa-with-mary-ann-mcgarry/.
- SAI Faculty Fellowship: http://www.plymouth.edu/news/psu%E2%80%99s-dr-mary-ann-mcgarry-to-study-volcanoes-in-italy/.
- SAI Faculty Fellowship blog: http://www.saiprograms.com/news/faculty-blog-prof-mcgarrys.
- Scientific American Guest-blog on climate change education: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/08/29/stepping-into-the-arena-of-climate-change-education/.
- PSU delegation visiting Russia: https://www.plymouth.edu/news/psu-educators-visit-russia-seeking-educational-exchange-program-opportunities/.
- Plymouth Magazine on Pakistani program: http://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/features/the-ripple-effect/.
- Plymouth Magazine on publishing with students: http://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/tag/mary-ann-mcgarry/.
- Plymouth Magazine: http://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/current/in-support-of-science/.
- Plymouth Magazine: http://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/features/the-global-classroom-blogging-at-psu/.
- Co-wrote with daughter Sydney Kahl Plymouth N.H. Through Russian Eyes: http://www.wanderingeducators.com/best/stories/plymouth-n-h-through-russian-eyes.html.
Two of McGarry’s more recent graduate students one Master’s and one Ed.D. at PSU have focused on international education.
- Natural Hazards: Science and Policy
- Introduction to Sustainability
- Environmental Science and Policy Seminar (capstone course)
- Field Studies (in Acadia National Park 2010 -2015)