Dr. Pam Harland has been a passionate librarian for over 25 years working in public libraries, academic libraries, and at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston as a research librarian. She served in several leadership positions at the state level in NH and on the Board of Directors of the American Association of School Librarians. She was awarded NH’s Elsie Domingo Service Award in 2016, NH’s School Librarian of the Year Award in 2010, and NH’s Intellectual Freedom Award in 2009. Pam authored The Learning Commons: Seven Simple Steps to Transforming Your Library (Libraries Unlimited, 2011). As a qualitative researcher, Pam’s focus is on investigating school librarian leadership.
Degrees and Education
- EdD, Educational Leadership, Plymouth State University
- MS, Information Systems, Drexel University
- BA, English Literature, University of New Hampshire
- School Librarian Leadership
- Qualitative Research Methodologies
- Digital Learning Models
Recent Select Publications
- Harland, P., & Cellucci, A. (2022). Do you know your administrators’ priorities for the school library? Knowledge Quest.
- Harland, P., Moreillon, J., & Cellucci, A. (2021). Take action: A content analysis of administrators’ understandings of and advocacy for the roles and responsibilities of school Librarians. School Library Research.
- Harland, P. & Cellucci, A. (2021). Leadership. In J. Moreillon (Ed.), Core Values in School Librarianship. ABC-CLIO.
- Harland, P. (2019). An investigation into the leadership behaviors of school librarians: A qualitative study. Plymouth State University, Doctoral Dissertation. https://summit.plymouth.edu/handle/20.500.12774/331
- Harland, P. (2019). The OER Mix-Tape: School librarians using OER in instructional practice. School Library Connection.
- Harland, P. (2018). Future forward: Why Future ready leaders don’t care about your circulation statistics. School Library Connection.
- Harland, P. (2017). Future forward administration. School Library Connection.
- Harland, P. (2015). The competency-based school librarian” CompetencyWorks.org.
- Harland, P. (2014). Guest editor. “The learning spaces issue” Knowledge Quest.Harland, P. (2011). The Learning Commons: Seven Simple Steps to Transform Your Library. Santa Barbara, CA : Libraries Unlimited/ABC-CLIO.
Recent Select Presentations
- Harland, P. & Carr, P. (2021, January). Everyday We’re Hustlin’: Innovative Teaching Methods, Strategies, and Tools. Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference.
- Harland, P. & Armstrong, L. (2021, January). What is a Digital Learning Specialist and Why Does it Matter? Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference.
- Harland, P. (2020, October). Lead Like a Librarian. Association of Library and Information Science Education, Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Harland, P. (2020, July). Personalizing Remote Instruction. New Hampshire Learning Initiative’s Powerful Learning Conference, Concord, NH.
- Harland, P. (2019, November). Lead Like a Librarian: Research Into Practice. American Association of School Librarians, Louisville, KY.
- Harland, P. (2019, November). Digital Learning Mixtape: Transforming Teaching with Technology. Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, Manchester NH.
- Harland, P. (2019, March). See Do Lead: An Investigation into Library Leadership. New Hampshire School Library Media Association Annual Conference, Concord NH.
- Harland, P. & Small, R. (2018, November). Genrefy Your Library. Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, Manchester NH.
- Harland, P. (2017, November). Build Your Own Technology Toolbox. Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, Manchester NH.
- Harland, P. (2017, March). Librarian Leadership (keynote). Québec School Librarians Network Symposium, Montreal, QC.
Harland, P. (2017, January). ESSA for School Librarians. Rhode Island School Library Association, Providence, RI.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2016: NH School Library Media Association: Elsie Domingo Service Award.
- 2015: Chris Nelson Memorial Grant.
- 2010: NH Excellence In Education Award: School Librarian of the Year.
- 2009: NH School Library Media Association: Intellectual Freedom Award.
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- 2021-current: Chair, Consortium of School Library Educators; New England School Library Association.
- 2020-current: Libraries Unlimited Textbook Advisory Committee.
- 2019-current: American Library Association CAEP Review Committee.
- 2018-current: Educators of School Librarians, American Library Association.
- 2021-2021: Library Media Coordinator Professional Standards Review Committee Member, NH Department of Education.
- 2019-2021: Library Media Specialist Professional Standards Review Committee Member, NH Department of Education.
- 2015-2018: Region 1 Director, American Association of School Librarians Board of Directors.
- 2017-2018: Digital Learning Specialist Professional Standards Review Committee Member, NH Department of Education.
- 2015-2019: Co-Founder, Let the Librarians Lead initiative.
- 2015-2016: Project Fellow, ISKME School Librarians Advancing STEM Project.
- 2013-2015: President, New Hampshire School Library Media Association.
- 2013-2014: Member, American Association of School Librarians’ “National School Library Program of the Year Committee.”
- 2012-2014: Member, American Association of School Librarians’ “Repurposing and Managing the Brand Task Force.”
- 2011-2019: Volunteer Coordinator and Member, Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference Steering Committee.
- 2012-2014: Member, ABC-CLIO Library Advisory Board.
- 2000-current: Member, ALA and AASL.
- 1994-current: Member, Beta Phi Mu.
Doctoral/Advanced Degree Courses
- EP 7850 CAGS Capstone
- EP 8000 Emerging Perspectives on Learning and Development
- HD 7060 Technology Integration for Educational Leaders
- HD 7210 Leading Curriculum and Instruction to Transform Schools
- CE/LM 5010 Leadership and Management
- CE/LM 5040 Technology and Innovation
- CE 5140 ePortfolio Development and Assessment
- CE 5560 Special Topics in Digital Learning: OER’s in Educational Technology
- CE 5960 Internship in Digital Learning
- ED 5060 Theories of Learning and Cognitive Development
- ED 6900 Graduate Capstone
- LM 5020 Cataloging and Curation
- LM 5210 Practicum in Library Media
- LM 5500 Special Topics in Library Media: School Library Website Design