Associate Professor of Counselor Education and Supervision
Research Fellow: Plymouth State University
Program Director: Marriage and Family Therapy and Play Therapy
2019-20 Immediate Past President, North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
Website: Center for Research and Innovation
Stephen Flynn is a Core Counselor Education Faculty Member and is the Director and Clinical Experiences Coordinator of the Marriage and Family Therapy and Play Therapy Programs. He serves Plymouth State University in the role of Research Fellow. He is a National Certified Counselor (NCC), Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS), American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Clinical Fellow and Approved Supervisor, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in New Hampshire and Colorado, and Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Colorado. He has been a faculty member at Plymouth since 2012, having previously worked as an Assistant Professor at the University of South Dakota.
Dr. Flynn teaches core coursework in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Educational Leadership, and School Psychology programs. He has diverse experience in applied mental health settings including a marriage and family training institute, university counseling center, private practice, mental health agencies, inpatient psychiatric hospital, emergency room assessment team, as the director of two counselor training labs, and as the coordinator of clinical experiences for a CACREP accredited counseling program.
Dr. Flynn served as the President and Conference Planning Chair of the North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES) for the 2018-2019 academic year. Dr. Flynn has led multiple empirical investigations in the counseling profession. His work has been published in a broad range of counseling journals, including The Journal of Counseling and Development, Counselor Education and Supervision, Career Development Quarterly, The Family Journal, Counseling Outcomes Research and Evaluation, and The Professional Counselor.
Degrees and Education
- PhD, Counselor Education and Supervision, University of Northern Colorado
- MA, Mental Health Counseling and Applied Psychology, Rowan University
- BA, Psychology, University of Northern Colorado
- Counselor development
- Altruism and self-interest
- Research methodology
- Instrument development
- Couple, marriage, and family therapy contemporary issues
- Flynn, S. V., Korcuska, J. S., Brady, N. V., & Hays, D. G. (2019). A 15-Year content analysis of three qualitative research traditions. Counselor Education and Supervision, 58 (1), 49-63, doi: 10.1002/ceas.12123
- Flynn, S. V., & Korcuska, J. S. (2018). Credible phenomenological research: A mixed-methods study. Counselor Education & Supervision, 57 (1), 34-50. doi: 10.1002/ceas.12092
- Flynn, S. V., & Korcuska, J. S. (2018). Grounded Theory Research Design: An Investigation into Practices and Procedures. Counseling Outcome Research & Evaluation, 9(2), 102-116. doi:10.1080/21501378.2017.1403849
- Flynn, S. V., & Hays, D. G. (2015). The development and validation of the Comprehensive Counseling Skills Rubric. Counseling Outcome Research and Evaluation. doi:10.1177/2150137815592216
- Flynn, S. V., & Sangganjanavanich, V. F. (2015). American Indian perceptions of educational achievement in predominantly White culture: Implications for marriage, couple, and family counselors. The Family Journal, 23, 216-227. doi: 10.1177/1066480715574673
- Flynn, S. V., Olson, S. D. & Yellig, A. D. (2014), American Indian acculturation: Tribal lands to predominately White postsecondary settings. Journal of Counseling & Development, 92: 280–293. doi: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2014.00156.x
- Flynn, S. V., & Sangganjanavanich, V. (2014). Professional roles and functions and consultation with other professionals. In V. Sangganjanavanich & C. Reynolds (Eds.), Introduction to professional counseling. Counseling and Professional Identity in the 21st Century. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Flynn, S. V. & Black, L. L. (2013). Altruism-self interest archetypes: A paradigmatic narrative of counseling professionals. (3). http://tpcjournal.nbcc.org/altruism-self-interest-archetypes-a-paradigmatic-narrative-of-counseling-professionals/
- Flynn, S. V., Duncan, K. J., & Evenson, L. I. (2013). An emergent phenomenon of American Indian secondary students’ career development process. The Career Development Quarterly, 61(4), 124–140. doi: 10.1002/j.2161-0045.2013.00042.x
- Flynn, S. V., Chasek, C. L., Harper, I. F., Murphy, K. M., & Jorgensen, M. F. (2012). A qualitative inquiry of the counseling dissertation process. Counselor Education & Supervision, 51(4), 242–255. doi: 10.1002/j.1556-6978.2012.00018.x
- Flynn, S. V., Duncan, K. & Jorgensen, M. F. (2012). An emergent phenomenon of American Indian postsecondary transition and retention. Journal of Counseling & Development, 90: 437–449. doi: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2012.00055.x
- Flynn, S. V. & Black, L. L. (2011). An emergent theory of altruism and self-interest. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89: 459–469. doi: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2011.tb02843.x
- Flynn, S.V., Korcuska, J. S., & Brady, N. (2018, September). A 15-Year Content Analysis of Three Qualitative Research Traditions. The North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES) Conference, Burlington, VT.
- Flynn, S.V. & Korcuska, J. (2017, October). Practices to Enhance Phenomenological Research: Grounding Empirical Findings in Strong Pedagogy. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Inform Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Flynn, S.V., Mariska, M. A., & Escobar, S. (2016, October). Integrating an Empirically Validated Skill-Based Assessment into a Graduate Program Curriculum. The North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES) Conference, Syracuse, NY.
- Flynn, S.V. (2015, October). The Comprehensive Counseling Skills Rubric: Grounding an empirically validated outcome-based assessment in strong pedagogy. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Flynn, S.V. (2015, October). Teaching advanced methods in couple, marriage, and family counseling: An empirically driven training model. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Flynn, S. V. (2013, October). American Indian transition from tribal lands to predominately White culture. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Conference, Denver, CO.
- Flynn, S. V., & Black, L. L. (2010, October). The altruism–self-interest phenomenon in the counseling profession. Rocky Mountain Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (RMACES) Conference, Grand Teton National Park, WY.
Awards and Distinctions
- Finalist: Distinguished Scholarship Award, Plymouth State University, 2017
- Recipient: Honorary Faculty Inductee into the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Plymouth State University, 2015
- Nominee: Locke-Paisley Outstanding Mentor Award, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, 2015
- Nominee: Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of South Dakota, 2012
- Dean Exemplary Performance in Teaching, University of South Dakota, 2010
- Dean’s Citation for Outstanding Dissertation, University of Northern Colorado, 2009
- Dean’s Citation for Excellence in Graduate School, University of Northern Colorado, 2009
- Writing a Literature Review (co-taught, flipped classroom)
- Working with Youth and Systems
- Counselor Education & Supervision (internship)
- Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment Planning
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Crisis Intervention in Professional Counseling
- Group Counseling Theories
- Working with Children and Families
- Legal and Ethical Aspects in Counseling
- Research in Counselor Education
- Theories of Counseling
- Counseling Skills
- Foundational Methods in Couple and Family Therapy
- Clinical Mental Health & School Counseling (internship)
- Marriage and Family Therapy (internship)
Leadership and Innovation
- Research Fellow, Plymouth State University
- 2018-2019 NARACES President and Conference Coordinator
- 2015-2018 Chair, Plymouth State University Institutional Review Board
- Creator, Plymouth State University’s Counselor Training Laboratory
- Creator, Plymouth State University’s Marriage and Family Therapy Major and Certificate
- Founding Advisor, Plymouth State University’s Graduate Research Society and Symposium
- Committee Chair, Creation of Plymouth State University IRB procedures, guidelines, forms, and application