Graduate Teaching Lecturer, Integrated Arts
Dr. Powers has had the pleasure of working as a teaching lecturer at Plymouth State since 2002. During her time with PSU she has taught undergraduate courses in critical thinking and creative thought and graduate courses in philosophy and arts education. Her day job is as Assistant Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at Southern New Hampshire University within University College, the traditional residential program for undergraduates. At SNHU she also teaches within the school’s Humanities department.
Dr. Powers holds a BFA in drama from New York University and a Masters from Teachers College where she studied with the late philosopher, Maxine Greene. After working many years as an education director at a local arts center, Shawn returned to PSU to obtain her doctorate in Learning, Leadership and Community. Her dissertation was a study of the philosophy of Maxine Greene.
Degrees and Education
- EdD, Plymouth State University
- CAGS, Plymouth State University
- MA, Columbia University Teachers College
- BFA, New York University Tisch School of the Arts
- Teaching Methods
- Visual Literacy
- ED 5010 Philosophy, Ethics and Education
- IN 5070 Integrated Arts Curriculum and Assessment
- EP 7090 Critical Perspectives for Arts Advocacy