Ann Bassett Berry
Assistant Professor of Special Education
Graduate Program Advisor for Special Education
Phone: (603) 535-2913
Dr. Berry has a strong interest in effective instruction for students with high incidence disabilities. The courses she teaches in special education at Plymouth State University focus on evidence-based practices. Additionally, she is interested in furthering her work in special education teacher retention. Her research, initially supported by the National Center for Rural Education Support, has identified several components related to the satisfaction and commitment of special education teachers in rural areas.
Degrees and Education
- PhD in Special Education, Pennsylvania State University
- MS, Special Education, Southern Illinois University
- BA, Skidmore College
- Effective instruction, evidence-based practice
- Retention and support of special education teachers in rural areas
- Berry, A. (2012). The relationship of perceived support to satisfaction and commitment for special education teachers in rural areas. Rural Special Education Quarterly.
- Berry, A., & Mason, L. (2012). The effects of self-regulated strategy development on the writing of expository essays for adults with written expression difficulties: Preparing for the GED. Remedial and Special Education.
- Berry, A (2012). Factors related to the retention of special educators in rural areas: What administrators need to know. New Hampshire Journal of Education.
- Berry, A., Petrin, R., Graville, M., Farmer, T., (2011). Issues in special education teacher recruitment, retention, and professional development: Considerations in supporting rural teachers. Rural Special Education Quarterly.
Awards and Distinctions
- Exemplary Education Research Award, The American Council for Rural Special Education, 2011
- Research Proposal Award, The American Council for Rural Special Education, 2010
- Excellence Award, National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development, 2000
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- The Council for Exceptional Children (subdivisions: DLD, TED)
- The American Council for Rural Special Education
- Conference Proceedings Committee Chairperson, The American Council for Rural Special Education, 2011
- New Hampshire Journal of Education, 2012
- Awards and Scholarship Committee, The American Council for Rural Special Education
- Guest Reviewer: Remedial and Special Education, 2009-2011