Educators from around the state are invited to attend the annual Integrated Arts Conference presented by the Educational Theatre Collaborative (ETC) from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday, January 27 at the Plymouth State University Silver Center for the Arts.
“The Integrated Arts Conference is one of the most exciting arts events for educators in New England,” said conference coordinator Robb Dimmick. Seven workshops conducted by some of New Hampshire’s premier educators use themes pulled from ETC’s production of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast to provide unique applications for using the arts to teach children.
Professor Betsy Hearne, Chair of the 2005 Caldecott Committee, will present the Keynote Address on “Beauties and Beasts.”
This year’s workshops include:
- “Tale as Old as Time: Beauties and Beasts through the Ages” taught by Megan Lambert, Instructor of Children’s Literature Programs, The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, Amherst, Mass.
- “The Bones of Story” with Betsy Hearne, Professor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign; “Putting the Kinesthetic into the Curriculum” conducted by Irene Cucina, associate professor, Health and Human Performance, Plymouth State University.
- “Enchanted Puppets” with Carol Fisher, Faculty in Residence, University of New Hampshire.
- “Bringing Beauty and the Beast into Your Classroom” with Cynthia Vascak, chair, Art Department, Plymouth State University, Wendy Oellers and Carol Young, primary teachers, Gilford Elementary School.
- “Drama Connections: Beauty and the Beast” taught by Gary File, drama educator, Gisborne Girls High School, Gisborne, New Zealand.
- “A Change In Me: Celebrating the Arts in School” with Roger Brooks, principal, Beaver Meadow Elementary School, Concord, and Barbara O’Brien, Primary Teacher, Beaver Meadow.
- “Systemic Arts, Integration and Learning: SAIL” with Laura Thomas and Wendy Cohen, Center for School Renewal at Antioch University New England and Marcia McCaffrey, N.H. Department of Education.
Participants will also see a special performance by TIGER Teen, attend a theme luncheon, and see Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.
The cost of the day-long event is $125; a group discount is available. To register contact Deb Stalnaker at (603) 535-2933 or e-mail email@example.com .
ETC is a community arts organization sponsored by Plymouth State University, Friends of the Arts and Plymouth Elementary School.