Fire Ruled Accidental

April 2nd, 2001 by Adam

Twenty-one residents remain displaced following last night’s fire at Plymouth State College’s non-traditional student apartments. Fire broke out around
7 p.m. in a first floor unit of the Seavey wing of the three-wing complex. There were no injuries, and the state Fire Marshal has ruled the fire accidental.

Following an investigation earlier today, the Fire Marshal believes a floor lamp overheated, igniting a poster on the wall and subsequently spread through the window, up the exterior of the building and into the attic. Residents have been able to return to their apartments to retrieve personal belongings, but it is likely that the 12 units in the Seavey wing will be taken offline for the remainder of the semester. A structural engineer is expected to inspect the integrity of the roof sometime tomorrow.

PSC Residential Life staff and the Red Cross are working with the displaced residents to provide necessities, clothing, and short-term housing options. Depending on the report from the structural engineer, longer term housing arrangements will be made as needed.