GORHAM, Maine – The Plymouth State University Panthers women’s tennis team won five of six singles points and earned two out of three doubles points Tuesday afternoon to take a 7-2 Little East Conference win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies.
Earning its second straight victory and third consecutive conference win, Plymouth State improves to 3-6 overall and inches above .500 in conference action at 3-2. Southern Maine falls to 0-7 overall and 0-4 in the Little East.
Plymouth State senior captain Jill Deyermond (Atkinson, N.H.) led the way for the Panthers with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles. Junior Meghan Rodier (Francestown, N.H.) and senior Briley Boisvert (Goffstown, N.H.) were winners for PSU at Nos. 2 and 3 singles, respectively, and freshmen Buffy Garland (Freedom, N.H.) and Nikki Kolb (Gilford, N.H.) collected wins at No. 5 and 6 singles.
Deyermond and Garland swept their No. 2 doubles match, 8-0, and Kolb paired up with sophomore Amanda Arponen (Plymouth, Mass.) for a win at No. 3 doubles.
Plymouth State, the defending LEC Tournament champion, visits defending regular season champion Rhode Island College Saturday at 12:00 p.m. Southern Maine travels to Western Connecticut for an 11 a.m. match on Saturday.
(Courtesy of Southern Maine Sports Information)
Plymouth State 7, Southern Maine 2
1. Jill Deyermond (PS) def. Nicole Willey (SM) 6-0, 6-0
2. Meghan Rodier (PS) def. Sara Willey (SM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Briley Boisvert (PS) def. Heather Hallman (SM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ashley Kirkpatrick (SM) def. Amand Arponen (PS) 6-0, 6-1
5. Buffy Garland (PS) def. Chelsea Cutler (SM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Nikki Kolb (PS) def. Sarah Reece (SM) 6-0, 6-0
1. N. Willey/S. Willey (SM) def. Redier/Boisvert (PS) 8-6
2. Deyermond/Garland (PS) def. Hallman/Kirkpatrick (SM) 8-0
3. Arponen/Kolb (PS) def. Cutler/Reese (SM) 8-1
— 30 —