SALEM, Mass. – The Plymouth State University women’s tennis team picked up its first victory of the season Saturday afternoon with a 6-3 triumph over Salem State College in a Little East Conference match-up at the North Campus tennis courts.
The teams split the six singles matches, but the Panthers earned the team victory by sweeping the three doubles matches. The Panthers are now 1-5 overall and 1-2 in conference matches, while Salem State is 1-3 overall and also 1-2 in the Little East.
Sophomores Amanda Arponen (Plymouth, Mass.) and Denise Huckins (Holderness, N.H.) were double winners for PSU at the bottom of the line-up, taking the Nos. 5 and 6 singles matches, respectively, and combining on the win at No. 3 doubles. Junior Meghan Rodier (Francestown, N.H./ConVal) also won twice, capturing a victory at No. 2 singles and teaming with senior Briley Boisvert (Goffstown, N.H.) for a Panther win at No. 1 doubles.
Senior Jill Deyermond (Atkinson, N.H.) and freshman Buffy Garland (Freedom, N.H.) teamed up to win for PSU at No. 2 doubles. Deyermond gave a strong effort at No. 1 singles, but lost 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 to sophomore standout Megan Cote (Fall River, Mass.), the defending LEC No. 2 singles champ who is undefeated in her career.
Plymouth State is back in action Tuesday with a non-conference match at Castleton State (4:00 p.m.)
Plymouth State 6, Salem State 3
1. Megan Cote (SSC) def. Jill Deyermond (PSU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Megan Rodier (PSU) def. Becky Pyndynkaski (SSC), 6-0, 6-0
3. Sara Paunovic (SSC) def. Briley Boisvert (PSU), 6-2, 7-5 (10-8)
4. Alicia Poore (SSC) def. Buffy Garland (PSU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Amanda Arponen (PSU) def. Sophea Neak (SSC), 6-1, 6-1
6. Denise Huckins (PSU) def. Angela Palma (SSC), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Rodier/Boisvert (PSU) def. Cote/Rodier/Pyndynkaski (SSC), 8-4
2. Deyermond/Garland (PSU) def. Paunovic/Poore (SSC), 8-3
3. Arponen/Huckins (PSU) def. Neak/Palma (SSC), 8-1
— 30 –-