COLCHESTER, Vt. – The Saint Michael’s College women’s tennis team easily defeated Plymouth State University Wednesday afternoon in Colchester, 9-0.
The Purple Knights (2-0) took all but one match in convincing fashion en route to their home opening win. Plymouth State struggled to win many points against Saint Michael’s, but Meghan Rodier (Francestown, N.H./ConVal) and Joan Kietzman (Plymouth, N.H./New Hampton School) managed to make their No. 1 doubles contest interesting at 9-8 (3).
Plymouth State, 0-3, returns home to host UMass Dartmouth on Saturday at the P.E. Center Courts (12:00 p.m.) in the Little East Conference dual match opener. The Panthers are the defending LEC Tournament champions.
The Purple Knights returns to action on Sept. 22 and 23 at the Women’s ITA at Bloomsburg University.
Saint Michael’s 9, Plymouth State 0
1. Deahna Giguere (SMC) def. Jill Deyermond (PSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Catherine Dalton (SMC) def. Megan Rodier (PSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Michelle Wood (SMC) def. Joan Kietzman (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Megan Conway (SMC) def. Briley Boisvert (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Marran Ranks (SMC) def. Buffy Garland (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marybeth Ash (SMC) def. Denise Huckins (PSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Conway/Wood(SMC) def. Rodier/Kietzman (PSU) 9-8 (3)
2. Ranks/Giguere (SMC) def. Deyermond/Garland (PSU) 8-2
3. Jackie Smullen/Courtney McDonnell (SMC) def. Boisvert/Nikki Kolb (PSU) 8-1
(Courtesy of Saint Michael’s Sports Information)
— 30 –-