Planning My Degree

advisingAs you plan your four years of coursework toward earning a Plymouth State University degree, you will want to avail yourself of all the resources we offer to assist you in accomplishing your goals. Review the Degree Planning Responsibilities of a Plymouth State University Student to be sure you are fulfilling your obligations.

Making a Four-Year Plan

You should make a four-year plan of how you are going to satisfy your degree program requirements. Look at your DegreeWorks in myplymouth to see what courses are needed and plot out each semester’s coursework. You can also reference your Academic Catalog, for more major information and a recommended course sequence. Remember that you will need to register for 15 credits each semester to graduate in four years. Some majors require more than 120 credits so it may not be feasible to accomplish all this in four years. That is why it is necessary to plan carefully so you can determine whether you may need to take Winterim or Summer courses in order to meet the minimum credits required within the four years.

General Education

As part of your plan, remember to include your general education courses. Each degree program requires you to complete courses that satisfy general education requirements in addition to your major course requirements. Some general education courses may be specified in your major. When choosing courses to satisfy general education requirements, look carefully at your major requirements to see which ones, if any, may be specified.

Review the General Education Program further >>

Curriculum Planning Guide

Curriculum Planning Guides are a paper-copy listing of all courses required for your program of study based on each Academic Catalog.

Print a copy for your major >>

Academic Support Services

During your time here, we suggest you use the resources available to you. Some of these may include the Math Activity Center for help in any math course, the PASS Office (Plymouth Academic Support Services) for tutoring, study skill or exam preparation assistance, or the Writing and Reading Center for assistance in writing papers. You need to remember that we are all here to help you achieve your goal…to earn a Plymouth State University degree.

Transfer Credit Database and form

You may decide to take a course or courses during the summer or winterim sessions at an institution near your home. Be sure to obtain approval prior to registering for the course, to make sure the course is going to transfer back to Plymouth. The following indicates the steps you should take to transfer courses:

  1. Obtain a listing of the courses that will be offered at the institution where you plan to take the course.
  2. Go to the Transfer Credit Database and enter the name of the institution. A list of courses that have previously been transferred to Plymouth will be in the list. Check to see if the course you wish to take is included in the database list.
  3. If the course you wish to take is listed in the Transfer Credit Database as how you would like it to apply, you only need to fill out the top two sections of a Transfer Credit Approval Form. These forms are available from the Office of Undergraduate Studies in Speare 208 or online.If the course you wish to take is not listed in the Transfer Credit Database, you will need to get a course description of the class, and obtain approval for the course from the appropriate department chair (i.e., if the course you want to take is Psychology, you would see the Psychology Department Chair). The department chair fills out Section A of the Transfer Credit Approval form.
  4. Return the Transfer Credit Approval form to the Registrar’s Office.
  5. Register for the course.
  6. Once you have completed the course, have an official transcript sent to the Registrar’s Office. Only courses in which you have earned a grade of C or better will transfer back to Plymouth. Only credits transfer, not the grade itself.

Once an official transcript is received and has been verified that you earned at minimum grade of C, the course credits will be added to your Plymouth State University transcript. Be sure to follow up on this to make sure everything has been taken care of.


There are a variety of forms that you may need to file at some point during your time at Plymouth. For example, if you want to declare an academic minor, you need to file an Academic Minor Declaration form. To change your major, you need to file an Academic Major and/or Option Declaration or Change form. Forms may be obtained at the Registrar’s Office in Speare Building or online.

Double Majors

You may pursue two Bachelor of Arts or two Bachelor of Science majors, but they must be in different disciplines. For example, you may not declare a Bachelor of Science in Marketing and a Bachelor of Science in Management because they are both in the Business discipline. However, you may choose a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Arts in History because they are in two different disciplines.

You must fulfill the requirements of both majors, including general education requirements. The major requirements of one program will satisfy the upper-division, outside the major requirement for the second program.

Dual Degrees

You may pursue two different degrees, such as a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science. To do so, you must complete a minimum of 30 credits of coursework beyond what is required for the first degree. The degrees must be from different disciplines. For example, you may not declare a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.

Second Degrees

If you already have received a degree from Plymouth State, you may apply for readmission to add a major to that degree. You will be required to follow the most current Academic Catalog at the time of readmission.

Adding a Degree of the same type

If you have earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Plymouth, you may apply for a second Bachelor of Science degree in a different discipline. You, of course, will need to complete the requirements of the second program.

Adding a Degree of a different type

If you wish to major in a different degree program from your first (i.e., you received a Bachelor of Science and now want to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree), you must complete the following:

  • a minimum of 30 credits of coursework at Plymouth subsequent to the completion of the first bachelor’s degree
  • all the requirements of the second degree, including general education requirements that may not have been fulfilled by the first degree
  • at least half of the courses in the new major at Plymouth

If you have received a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from another college or university, you may pursue any of Plymouth’s degree programs. You must complete the following:

  • a minimum of 30 credits at Plymouth
  • at least half of the courses in the new major at Plymouth
Retroactively Adding a Minor or Option

If you have already graduated from Plymouth State, you may apply for readmission to retroactively add a minor or option to their degree. You will be required to follow the requirements of the current Academic Catalog for a minor. You may follow the requirements of your original Academic Catalog for an option, if possible. If this is not possible, you will be required to follow a more current catalog to complete option and general education requirements.

You have reached your Junior year…now what?

As you approach your junior year, be sure to verify all outstanding requirements and process any necessary paperwork. Adjust your four-year plan if needed. Check out Responsibilities of a Junior as well as Preparing to Graduate for more information.

In Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Panther Pride: Ski Hard, Smile Big

Freydis Holla Einarsdottir ’19 came this close to competing in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Since coming to PSU, she’s been posting top finishes for the women’s ski team, and in March she became the first woman in Plymouth State history to compete in the NCAA Championships, the biggest race in collegiate ski racing. […]

Example Image

Next Steps

Grant-funded Program Prepares Special Education Teachers » Looking over a classroom of a dozen junior high school students at Plymouth Elementary School, special education intern Jennifer Kay ’99 worries what the future holds for the class of kids with mental and physical challenges. “I have doubts about where some of my students will be in […]

Example Image

¡Bienvenidos a Cuba!

PSU professor and her students discover the challenges and joys of visiting Cuba » Political science professor Filiz Otucu Ruhm always dreamed of going to Cuba. In fact, she planned on visiting the island more than a decade ago. “The social scientist in me wanted to observe Castro’s Cuba, then go back after Castro, and […]