Important PSU Transfer Credit Policies

  • PSU will allow transfer credit from regionally-accredited degree-granting institutions for courses that are graded C or above or its equivalent (a grade of P in a Pass/No Pass course).
    • Only credits are transferrable from another institution, not grades. Grades from another institution will not appear on PSU transcripts nor will they be included in  students’ GPAs.
      Exception: translocated courses, e.g. PSU course taught through Granite State College (GSC) within the University System of New Hampshire (USNH). Transferred translocated courses are included on the PSU transcript and treated as non-transferred courses. Grades earned in translocated courses are averaged into students’ PSU GPA, regardless of grade.
    • Courses deemed developmental/remedial or vocational by either PSU or the transfer institution are not transferable.
    • No academic credit is given for life experience or work experience.
    • Grade of C- or CD is not equivalent to a C.
  • If you received credit for a PSU course, you may not repeat an equivalent course credit at another institution. Only if you failed a PSU course may you repeat the course’s equivalent elsewhere.
  • A maximum of 90 transferred credits will be applied toward a PSU baccalaureate degree.
  • Cumulative GPAs for students entering PSU with transfer credits are established by PSU grades only. Transfer students are subject to the academic standards for satisfactory performance.
  • If you take a course at PSU for which you already have received equivalent transfer credit, your PSU enrollment will be changed to audit, and you will be notified; you may request to drop PSU course.
  • Courses from two-year institutions transfer to PSU as lower-level. Only if equivalency to an upper-level PSU course can be demonstrated through evaluation of course syllabi, sample texts and other documents by the appropriate PSU Department Chair, may courses transfer as upper-level.