Student Spotlight: Caylin Bessette ’22

Name: Caylin Bessette
Major: Elementary Education with a minor in Child Welfare and Family Studies
Hometown: St. Albans, Vermont
Class year: 2022
Clubs and/ or organizations:  I am vice president of Best Buddies and an ASCD (educator preparation club) member. I have participated in the Panther for a Day and Paw Print programs. I am a tour guide, I am Alex Boudreau’s assistant in the Admissions Office, and I will be an Orientation leader this year. I am a University Honors Program member and just accepted the vice president position for the National Society of Leadership and Success here on campus.

Why Plymouth State?

I chose Plymouth State because it felt like home. I was always told that when you find the school for you, that you will get a special feeling. I always thought that this was just what everyone said because up until I walked onto campus at PSU, I did not get that feeling. I went to tour for my first time and instantly knew that it was where I wanted to be. It was out of my comfort zone, as it was further away from home than I would have liked. I was scared, but I am so glad that I made the decision to attend PSU. The feeling of community on campus is incredible. The professors work so hard to create a relationship with each and every student. The relationships that I have created on campus are ones that I will cherish forever.I feel like Plymouth State University is one giant family. The campus is absolutely gorgeous and the perfect size. Finally, the education program here is outstanding. I feel like I will be prepared to be the best educator that I can be once I graduate. I can honestly say that I have made the best decision to attend PSU. It has given me a home away from home and has provided me with so many opportunities.

What is the best opportunity that Plymouth has given you?

Plymouth State has given me so many opportunities. I am so thankful for everything that I have become a part of and everyone that I have gotten to know. I think the biggest opportunity was truly a fresh start and an opportunity to break out of my comfort zone. In high school, I was very shy. I never would have thought that I would be the vice president of a club, a tour guide, or an Orientation leader. I have been able to branch out and have truly grown as a person. I have improved my ability to be confident in my abilities and have met so many amazing people through my involvement. Another great opportunity that I have been given is the opportunity to work for Admissions. I have met such awesome people and have created relationships that I will hold onto forever. It has allowed me to get involved, meet new people, and step out of my comfort zone. Lastly, I have created friendships that will last a lifetime. The friends that I have made during my time at Plymouth State are people who I feel like I have known forever!

What keeps you busy outside of classes?

Time flies by here! When I am not in class, I usually am working in Admissions, going to club meetings, going to the gym, or hanging out with my friends. Being involved is essential in passing the time. There are plenty of events on campus, too! Student Life does an excellent job planning events like Paint Nights and BINGO to keep students engaged and having fun. There is always something to do to keep you busy.

What have you learned to love while at Plymouth State?

I have truly learned to love being busy! Some days, I feel like I have so much to do and such little time to do it, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I have learned to love the outdoors as well. Being at Plymouth State gives you plenty of chances to do that. I have learned to enjoy skiing and hiking, both things I never really liked before. There are tons of places to hike and the feeling you have once you get to the top is unreal. Skiing is huge here at PSU and I look forward to the weekends when I can go!

What advice would you give future students?

Get involved! Step out of your comfort zone. Meet new people. Get out of your room and do things with other people. My first week or two at PSU was tough for me because I missed home. I made myself get out of my room, hang out with other people, and go to the events that were happening. Keeping yourself busy makes the time go by so fast. I cannot believe that I am about halfway done my time here at PSU. Plymouth State gives you plenty of opportunities to step out of your comfort zone. Take advantage of it because before you know it, years have gone by!

What is your plan after graduation?

I have not completely solidified my plans for after graduation. However, I am leaning in the direction of staying an extra year for the one-year intensive master’s program in special education. After I get my degree, I hope to move back to Vermont and become a Kindergarten teacher.