Student Spotlight: Sarah Jackes ’20

Name: Sarah Jackes
Major: Elementary Education, Minor: History

Hometown: Londonderry, NH
Class Year: 2020
Sport(s): Varsity Women’s Lacrosse

Why did you choose Plymouth State?

Plymouth State University was the perfect fit for me. I am able to pursue my dream of becoming a teacher while also competing at a high level as a member of the women’s lacrosse team, all while being a part of the campus community in different ways. Plymouth State provides its students with remarkable experiences, outstanding faculty and staff, and an incredible place to call home.

What is the best opportunity that Plymouth has given you?

At Plymouth, you are not just a number. You are a person. This means that all of your professors get to know you personally, the athletic department staff hangs out with you post game, and you are able to really make your education your own. A small school allows for deeper personal connections. The best opportunities I have had come from seven a.m. coffee meetings with my academic advisor, Dr. Gerald Buteau, ‘life advice’ discussions with Professor Susan Sabella, and impromptu meetings with Assistant Director of Athletics Lauren Lavigne ’94, ’96G and Women’s Lacrosse Head Coach Sandra Bridgeman. Personal relationships with mentors is the best opportunity Plymouth has granted me and thus has unlocked many different pathways for my success.

What keeps you busy outside of classes and your sport(s)?

I have been fortunate enough to work for the Global Engagement Office during my time at Plymouth. GEO has brought me some of my best friends and allowed me to find one of my true passions, international education. For the office, I help plan events for international and domestic students alike, hold office hours as a study abroad coordinator, and act as an international orientation leader for our new students prior to the start of each semester.

What have you loved most about playing a sport at Plymouth State University?

There is nothing better than walking onto Arold Field with 20 of your best friends for the Little East Conference Women’s Lacrosse Championship and seeing members of the other varsity athletic teams ready to cheer you on. Playing a sport here at Plymouth is a big commitment, but well worth it. They are lifelong bonds created while on the field, court, pool, or slopes.

What is your plan after graduation?        

With senior year fast approaching, I plan to savor every moment of my time at Plymouth State University. After graduation, I am excited to have a classroom of my own, whether that be in America or abroad, and have the opportunity to educate young minds!