Bachelor of Science
The Elementary Education major at PSU has many strengths …
- Rigorous preparation: You will find strong academic preparation, broad general education, strong faculty support, and a core set of discipline-specific courses.
- Time in the classroom: As early as the first semester, you will begin spending time in elementary classrooms. You will have the opportunity to receive valuable feedback from practicing professionals in the field. You will begin as an observer and gradually work your way to full responsibility for the classroom in your final semester.
- Professional Faculty: Collectively, the faculty has a tremendous amount of professional experience, which means they do not just talk about how to do things, they actually really show you. They stay up to date with the latest developments in teaching and they share a passion that you will find contagious!
- Cohort System: During your final three semesters, you will complete integrated methods coursework and practicum experiences, as well as student teaching, with a core group of classmates and faculty. Our cohort system provides a focused and intensive experience designed to prepare you for the challenges and rewards of the teaching profession. You will have unique opportunities to develop professional skills as you interact with teachers, professors, and fellow students in a supportive environment full of other passionate individuals.
- Nationally accredited: We are fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and by the NH Department of Education.
- Professional involvement: As a student you can also become a part of the professional community right away by joining the PSU chapter of ASCD.