Bachelor of Science
A Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health from PSU is unique. The primary goal of the program is to prepare students to understand health in terms of the social and environmental systems that impact people where they live work and play. Public health students will have a variety of learning experiences to help prepare them to identify health needs in communities, plan and implement effective programs and build and support policies that improve the health and well-being of community members and/or special populations.
Public Health is a type of allied health science that allows for a broad range of professional trajectories, such as working alongside medical care providers in the clinical setting, in businesses or non-profit organizations, and in local, state, and national government agencies. Students are trained to be practitioners who can address complex community health problems and advocate for ethical and socially just policies and interventions.
In the Public Health program, students will learn to:
- Apply principles of health science, sociology, ethics, and health promotion in effective and culturally sensitive programs.
- Use effective and purposeful communication with diverse populations to spread ideas that promote health, and reduce health disparities and disease risks for everyone
- Synthesize foundational knowledge and the results of inquiry and research to support effective programs and campaigns for health
- Work collaboratively as a member of a health and wellness team to improve individual and community outcomes.
- Compare and discuss major local, national, and global health challenges related to equity, social justice, climate change, and healthcare access and outcomes.
Public Health core functions are:
- assessment and evaluation, which is collection and analysis of health data and works to improve programs and processes
- policy development, which assures that scientific principles are used in public health decision making (big ‘P’ and little ‘p’ policy development)
- assurance, which guarantees that services necessary to achieve public health goals are provided
- research, for new insights and innovative solutions to timely health issues