Women's Leadership Summit Group Photo

Finding My True North with the Women’s Leadership Summit

Summer is my favorite season. Hitting the beach, soaking up the sun, and catching up with friends—what could be better? Summer is also the host of some of my favorite events. One of them happens to be the Women’s Leadership Summit.

As a young woman, a day for other women to get together, get active, and share stories is a dream come true. Last year I joined the Women’s Leadership Summit committee so I could be actively involved in the planning.

Girl and PSU mascot on top of mountainThe day of the event was great, with a healthy breakfast and many activity options. Being in the North Country, we offered an easy hike up Rattlesnake and a moderate hike for more experienced hikers up Mount Morgan. For those not looking to hike, we offered an exciting historical walk around Plymouth. I participated in that and I was so glad I did. I learned a lot about the place I had been living in for the past four years. A ropes course and bike ride were also offered.

After the activities we all came back to AllWell North. We had live music, chair massages, and a delicious lunch waiting for us. We also had some time for reflection. This event made me realize I needed to make a serious life change. My whole life I was a pretty active, healthy, fit person, but my senior year of college I sort of let myself go and stopped making healthy choices. The Women’s Leadership Summit was a wakeup call for me.  I realized I needed to make more time for myself, and make more time to get active.

I have taken a lot of steps this past year in making my life change, which included joining a fitness sustainability group, which is run by an incredible woman I met overseas on a birthright trip. Knowing that I have made some serious accomplishments makes me even more excited for this summer’s event. I can’t wait to see how I do as I take on our easier hike.

This year is a two-day event instead of one. On August 11, we will be offering a boat cruise around Squam Lake, and those who wish may stay overnight in our new res hall, Merrill Place, where there will be more activities that evening. Then all of our wonderful outdoor activities will take place on August 12.

What’s even better is that I have been talking to my best friend from back home about how this event changed my life, and she will be coming up this year for the event! Having my best friend by my side as we hike will make the day that much better.

Something I have learned about health and fitness is that there is no good quick fix. Getting a healthy mind and body takes time. If I hadn’t joined the committee and gone to the event last year, I don’t know if I would have ever had the courage to reach out to my trainer, join the fitness group, and just make myself better. I am thankful for the support of these women, who also have amazing stories to tell. I never thought participating in something like this could impact me in such a positive way.

Find out more about the Women’s Leadership Summit and register for their upcoming annual event on August 11 & 12.

Jordan Rosenburg ’17 currently works within University Advancement as the Assistant Director for Annual Giving at Plymouth State University. During her time at PSU, she earned a B.A. in Communication Studies and was awarded the 2017 Outstanding Communication and Media Studies Graduating Senior Award. In addition to these accomplishments, she served as the President for the Communication Honors Society (LPH), and the Vice President of the University Film Club. In her free time, Jordan enjoys writing analysis on Television and Film.