Student Spotlight: Hannah Fitzgerald ’20

Name: Hannah Fitzgerald
Major: English w/ Teacher Certification
Hometown: Antrim, NH
Class year: 2020
Clubs and/ or organizations: Senior Tour Guide

Why Plymouth State? At first, I chose Plymouth State because it was close to home, but not too close, and because it was affordable. It had the program I wanted, and I enjoyed myself when I visited so I figured, why not? It wasn’t until I spent my first semester here that I fell in love with PSU. As I made friends, met professors, and fell in love with the English department, I realized that Plymouth State was home for me. I stayed because Plymouth State and the English department became my family. Now I would tell anyone who is looking for a place to belong that Plymouth State is an amazing place for learning and friendship.

What is the best opportunity that Plymouth has given you? It’s hard to choose, but the best opportunity Plymouth has given me is my professors. Without my professors and my student advisor I wouldn’t have been able to navigate my way through college and feel confident about being able to graduate, and I wouldn’t be able to study abroad. Without these members of Plymouth State’s faculty, I wouldn’t have experienced nearly as much as I have, and I wouldn’t feel confident about my future.

What keeps you busy outside of classes? If I’m not in class I’m either at work or with my friends, or sometimes both. My work study job as a desk attendant allows me to make money while finishing homework or just meeting new people. If it wasn’t for my work study job in Grafton Hall I wouldn’t have met one of my best friends.

What have you learned to love while at Plymouth State? It sounds funny, but one thing I’ve learned to love is getting out of the house. Before college I was a big homebody. Now I’ll do anything to get out of my dorm. Sometimes my friends and I will just go on drives for hours through the beautiful mountains that surround PSU, or sometimes we’ll just sit outside on a nice day in front of the HUB.

What advice would you give future students? CHECK YOUR EMAIL. As someone who works a lot with admissions and first-year students, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is check your email. It is your lifeline. It’s how teachers will contact you; it’s how the school will contact you. Anything important involving you and PSU is sent there. So many first-years don’t check their Plymouth email and miss out on some really important things. Before you come to school get in the habit of checking your email every day, so it becomes second nature. You won’t regret it.

What is your plan after graduation? The future is unpredictable and honestly with two years before I graduate ahead of me I’m still not 100 percent sure. I know for certain I want to teach, but after studying abroad in Japan I don’t know if I’ll want to go back and teach there or teach here. I’ve also considered joining the military to be of service to our country as well as teaching. The only thing I know for certain is that it ends with me doing some type of teaching and for now that’s fine with me.