Master of Education
Interested in a career in health and enjoy working with people? The Master of Education (MEd) in Health Education is a unique program offering the flexibility to choose between three concentration areas:
• Eating disorders (leading to a variety of job opportunities as an eating disorders specialist)
• Health promotion (leading to a variety of job opportunities as a health education specialist)
• K–12 Certification (leading to endorsement for New Hampshire certification as a K-12 Health Education Teacher)
Each concentration has specific enrollment requirements, and some require specific majors or prerequisites courses. Each program is different in its delivery of online, hybrid, face-to-face, intensive weekends, or in-class sessions. The nine credits of core MEd courses may be taken totally online or in a hybrid format.
A graduate degree in health education will prepare you for a career that is expected to grow by 21% by 2022 (The Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016). Health educators provide and manage health education programs that help individuals, families, and their communities maximize and maintain healthy lifestyles. Health Educators collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies and environments (U.S. Department of Labor of Labor, 2016).
You will collaborate with your advisor to select courses in the Health Education program which will prepare you to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination offered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing. Successful achievement of this certification assures employers you have met the national competencies for health education professionals.
- 3.0 or better in undergraduate coursework
- Official transcripts from any/all college level work
- Three professional recommendations
- Current Resume
- Statement of interest
- NH Residency Verification form (NH residents only)
- $75 application fee