The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art and Design offers three options that students can choose from within the major: an Art Option, an Art Education Option, and a Graphic Design Option.
BFA in Art and Design
The BFA in Art and Design offers three options that students can choose from within the major: a Graphic Design Option, an Art Option, or an Art Education option.
The BFA in Art and Design: Graphic Design Option includes a core of Art and Art History Foundation courses, core graphic design courses and a cumulative Art and Design Capstone course. This degree helps students develop visual understanding, critical thinking and problem solving that will help them for a career in Graphic Design.
- Learn foundational art and design skills.
- Students are able to demonstrate expertise as visual communicators.
- Students are able to approach design problems through the integration of conceptual and practical aspects of the design process with critical acumen and creative innovation.
- Students develop projects through a combination and balance of both: a) skills developed toward conceptual analyzation, and b) skills in technical proficiency with digital software media.
- Students are able to engage in sustained research necessary to develop comprehensive corporate identity projects involving logo applications, packaging design, promotional and sales displays, publications, market analysis, client need analysis, comparison of competitors in the market, and target audience analysis.
The BFA in Art and Design: Art Option includes a core of Foundation courses, Art History courses, Upper-Level Focus Area Art courses and a cumulative Art and Design Capstone course. Within this degree option students can select from a variety of Art courses in Studio Art, Graphic Design, Art History and Art Education to build their own degree based on student interest in order to prepare them for a career within the Arts.
- Prepare students for professional careers relating to Art and Design and beyond incorporating problem solving, creative thinking, and peer discussion and review
- Learn foundational art skills
- Develop an historical framework of fields in Art through contemporary Art History knowledge
- Learn to work in multiple medias with potential to choose focus area
- Cumulative Capstone that brings together students to discuss contemporary issues, ideas, in a peer review environment
- Develop Professional Development Skills (Integrate social media, web design, and marketing to promote a vision)
The BFA in Art and Design: Art Education option incudes a core of Foundation courses, Art History courses, Art Education courses, and Studio courses designed to help the Art Education candidate to develop a broad range of skills for their future classrooms. Additionally, multiple classroom observation opportunities will occur formally throughout each year and will culminate in a full semester teaching internship in a K-12 school (split into two opportunities, K8 and then 9-12.)