Learn to Skate & Learn to Play Hockey
Group lessons are offered throughout the school year on Saturday mornings.
- 9:00-10:00 am are Snowplow Sam through Basic 5 levels
- 9:00-10:00 am is also for the Learn to Play Hockey groups
- 8:00-9:00 am are the Basic 6 through Free Skate 6 levels
In the summer, lessons change to Monday evenings
- 4:30-5:30 pm are the advanced levels
- 5:30-6:30 pm are the beginner levels and hockey skaters
The lesson fee is $90 for a 6-week program with a $5 early registration discount if you register at least 1 week prior to the start of lessons. Skaters are required to pre-register membership with Learn to Skate USA each year.
The ice surface is divided with the youngest beginners at the entrance end, more advanced skaters in the center section, and hockey skills at the Zamboni end beyond the safety barrier. Learn to skate groups will have a 30-minute group lesson and a 30-minute practice time. The maximum group size is 10 skaters per coach.
The last week of class coaches will complete evaluations of each skater and skaters will receive a patch if they satisfactorily complete all skills on their level. Sometimes a skater will pass a level in just one session but often it takes several sessions to master the skills in each level. If a skater is able to practice their skills between lessons, they will naturally progress through the skills a little quicker. At the instructor's discretion, a skater may be moved to a new group, mid-session, to best match their current skill level.
* Plymouth State Skating Academy is a Learn to Skate USA member and all participants must obtain LTS-USA membership. Annual membership runs from July 1 to June 30, each year. After June 1, you can register your skater at www.learntoskateusa.com. The LTS-USA fee is $18.50 per year. This covers supplemental insurance while skating, a skating magazine, access to a mobile app, and badges earned by passing levels of the program.