Plymouth State University offers the only comprehensive program in New Hampshire for individuals interested in working in a school library setting or wanting to renew their New Hampshire state certification. This program is nationally recognized by the American Association of School Librarians.
According to ED 507.21 Library Media Specialist requirements, candidates must possess a baccalaureate degree and complete a combination of academic and supervised practical experiences addressing the following areas: administration; ethical, legal, and responsible use of information; collection development; teaching and learning; and literature.
Students may choose one of the following concentrations:
- MEd in Library Media, Non-Certification
- MEd in Library Media, K–12 Library Media Specialist Certification
- K-12 Library Media Specialist Certification Only
- MEd in Library Media, K-12 Library Media Specialist and K-12 Digital Learning Specialist dual certification
- K-12 Library Media Specialist and K–12 Digital Learning Specialist dual certification only
Requirements for certification may change, subject to changes made by the New Hampshire Department of Education (NHDOE). Teacher candidates can find the latest NHDOE standards at education.nh.gov/index.htm.