The Academic & Career Advising Center serves as a central hub for academic and career development services for our faculty and staff partners.
Services & Resources
- Academic Advisor Assignments
- Academic & Career Best Practice Consultation
- Academic & Career Resource Library & SharePoint Sites
- Career & Academic Tool Training
- Classroom Visits & Presentations
- Faculty & Academic Advisor Training
- Faculty & Staff Career Training
- On-Campus Student Employee Hiring
- Partnered Events – Academic & Exploratory Events
- Partnered Events – Career Fair & Employer Events
Request a Class or Program Visit
Faculty, staff and student organizations can request a visit from the Academic and Career Advising Center. Example topics can include:
- Job Search Strategies
- Major & Career Exploration
- Interviewing Strategies
- and more!
Request a class or program visit
Please request a visit a minimum of two weeks prior to the selected date to allow for adequate scheduling and session preparation.
Post On-Campus Student Employment Opportunities
Step 1: Create New Employer Account
Start Here: New Employer Registration
**Please note Handshake is Plymouth State University’s centralized career platform for on-campus and off-campus student employment opportunities. When creating your profile, you will be following steps like an off-campus employer.
Employer Profile Setup Guideline:
- Email Address: Utilize either your general office/program email or the hiring manager/supervisor email. The email must be @plymouth.edu
- Select Create a New Company (it will try to have you select Plymouth State University as the employer by default), located on the right of the screen.
- Employer Name: University Name: Department Name – i.e. Plymouth State University: Academic & Career Advising Center
- Link to School: Select Plymouth State University (this will put you in pending status to post on-campus student employment jobs for Plymouth State University students)
**You will go into a pending status for approval from Career Development. You will still be able to post a job (for approval) before your employer account is activated.
Bookmark https://app.joinhandshake.com/login for future access to Handshake.
Step 2: Post an On-Campus Student Employment Job
- On homepage of Handshake select “Jobs” on left hand navigation bar.
- Select “Create Job” in upper right-hand corner
- Follow prompts to complete your student employment job posting
- Select “Apply through external system” if you have a separate website or form for the student to complete to apply. Select “Apply through Handshake” if you want students to submit their application through Handshake. If you select “Apply through Handshake,” you can choose to receive email notifications when you have an applicant (located in later options when creating a job posting.) Provide instructions on how you want students to apply for positions, what application materials to submit, and your office/department website.
- Select “On Campus Student Employment” for Job Type.
- Select “No” if you are looking to hire for Work Study students, even if the position is Work Study only. Include in the position description if you can only hire Federal Work Study and/or Student-Hourly.
- Complete as many fields as possible including optional fields in the job posting. Be sure to provide a clear position description that provides
- Provide instructions on how you want students to apply for positions, what application materials to submit, and your office/department website.
- At the end of the posting, DO NOT post as a “global” position – this will post across all of Handshake’s 1000+ University partner schools – just select Plymouth State University.
- Submit position request for approval; you will be alerted that you aren’t an approved employer, this is normal as we default all employers to pending status for Career Development to review and approve employers and job postings.
- Employer and job postings are reviewed and approved within two-business days. Please contact us should you run into an issues or have an extended wait time.