The University System of New Hampshire institutions will award tuition waivers to children of totally and permanently 100% disabled New Hampshire veterans when all eligibility requirements are met. Students are required to apply for this assistance annually.
Tuition Waiver for Children of a 100% Disabled New Hampshire Veteran

Resources for Military Families & Veterans

The College Scorecard is a planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school.

The College Navigator is a consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.

The College Financing Plan is a model aid award letter designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. For more information: PSU College Financing Plan

The Paying for College webpage can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one and to enter actual financial aid aware information.

NASFAA (National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators) has also compiled a tip sheet for current and former members of the military and their families.

Federal Financial Aid

As a veteran, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or a family member of a veteran or active duty personnel, you may qualify for Federal Financial Aid or financial aid benefits not otherwise available. To apply for Federal Financial Aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Pell Grant

If your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, you may be eligible for additional Federal Pell Grant funds if, at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death, you were:

  • less than 24 years of age or
  • enrolled in college or career school at least part-time.

The Secretaries of Defense and Veterans Affairs should provide the Secretary of Education with the information necessary to determine which students meet the requirement. Because the question is not on the FAFSA, students will need to notify the Financial Aid team concerning their eligibility for this additional benefit.

Federal Loans

If you apply for financial aid, you may be offered loans as part of your school’s financial aid offer. A loan is money you borrow and must pay back with interest.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Beginning with the 2010-11 award year, a student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Service Member Civil Relief Act

Under the Service members Civil Relief Act, students with Federal Direct Loans or parents with Federal Direct PLUS Loans may be eligible for:

  • Interest rates limited to 6% during and immediately after military service
  • No interest accrual on loans first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2008
  • Deferment of repayment on any federal loans while serving on active duty in the military during a war, military operation, or national emergency if those loans were first disbursed on or after Jul. 1, 2001

Department of Veterans Affairs

The VA offers education benefits for veterans, their widows and dependents through the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Montgomery GI Bill®, and other programs.

Please visit Veterans Affairs or call a Veterans Benefits Counselor at 888-GI-BILL (1-888-442-4551) to receive more information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official government website for the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs.


Many organizations offer scholarships to active duty military, veterans, and/or their families. Please visit the Department of Educations webpage for Military Scholarships for more information on these types of specific scholarships.

PSU Student Financial Services

Service members are encouraged to contact one of PSU’s financial aid specialists toll free at 877-846-5755 for loan counseling before applying for private student loans. The counselor can help explain your federal financial aid options and offer you information on the differences between private and federal loans.

Please remember that you may refuse any aid awarded to you or borrow less than the maximum student loan amount awarded.

Applying Benefits to Your PSU Bill

Our staff at PSU can assist you in applying veteran’s benefits to your account. Please contact the Registrar’s  Veteran’s Certifying Official directly at (603) 535-2345 for assistance.

Plymouth State University is approved by the NHSAA Office to administrate VA Educational Benefits for eligible students. The VA makes eligibility determinations and students that believe they may be eligible for benefits under the GI Bill® should seek determination from the VA.

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at”