During the last week, many of you have been tricked into providing your account password to an unauthorized party (aka have been Phished). When an un-authorized entity has your username and password, they have access to everything you have access to. This includes your email, course material and and any other information available to you in MyPlymouth.
Please be aware that Information Technology Services (ITS), upon discovery of a phished account, will shut it down to preserve the integrity of PSU systems and data. It will typically take 24-48 hours to regain access to your account depending on day of week and IT workload.
Please review the TIPS below to avoid being Phished:
- Take the time to read messages completely and make note of bad grammar.
- Check to see where a URL *REALLY* takes you before clicking on it (hover your cursor over it to see where it goes).
- Be suspicious of anything taking you to a login page. Is it really at PSU? Again, check the URL.
- Be suspicious of message which attempt to create a sense of Urgency.
- Be suspicious of any message asking you to confirm or verify your account.
If you see something you are uncertain whether or not is legitimate, it is far better if you stop and give the Helpdesk a call.