Frequently Asked Questions

These are common questions students and parents ask regarding on-campus housing and dining at PSU. If you can’t find your answer here, please contact us.

Living on Campus

Plymouth State University believes there is a significant educational value from the experience offered to students living in our residence halls. In keeping with this belief, all full-time matriculated students are required to live on campus if space is available. This policy is reviewed annually and adjusted in order to best meet the needs of the campus and community at large.

For the 2024-2025 academic year, students meeting one of the following criteria are released from the above obligation:

  • Students who turn 21 on or before September 1, 2024
  • Students who have earned (completed) 64 or more Plymouth State University credits by the end of the Early Spring term (January 31, 2024) as documented by the Plymouth State University official registrar records.

Exceptions requiring additional information:

Students who do not meet the criteria above, but meet any of the criteria below should complete the appropriate forms to be considered for release- see Forms & Policies tab:

  • Students commuting from a home owned by a parent/guardian or while living with a parent/guardian within a 30 mile commute of campus. Exceptions for commuting from outside the commutable distance or commuting while living with a relative require additional information/permissions/class consolidations.
  • Students who can show evidence of 2 or more years of FULL-TIME military service to be completed on or before September 1, 2024.
  • Students participating in an educational program outside of the Plymouth area (e.g. internship, student teaching);
  • Students changing status (i.e. marital, part time, or online)

Exceptions requiring additional information and committee review:
Students who do not meet any of the above criteria, but feel they have a unique and unanticipated situation or hardship may complete the appropriate form requesting release to live off campus- see Forms & Policies tab. Note: this is a lengthier process that requires supporting documentation and review by the release committee. Completed forms must be received by February 22, 2024, to be considered for notification prior to the Returning Student Housing Selection process (which begins early-March).

*As stated in previous communications, students should not sign an off-campus housing contract or lease for the next academic year (2024-2025) unless they meet one of the above requirements. A signed off-campus lease alone is not justification for release.

Room Occupancy Type Occupancy Description Residential Community
Quad Room One room with 4 sets of bedroom furniture Mary Lyon Hall
Triple Room One room with 3 sets of bedroom furniture Blair Hall, Pemigewasset Hall, Mary Lyon Hall
Double Room One room with 2 sets of bedroom furniture Belknap Hall, Blair Hall, Pemigewasset Hall, Mary Lyon Hall, Geneva Smith Hall, Grafton Hall
Single Room One room with 1 set of bedroom furniture Belknap Hall, Blair Hall, Pemigewasset Hall, Mary Lyon Hall, Geneva Smith Hall, Grafton Hall
Double Room w/ Bathroom One room with 2 sets of bedroom furniture & an in room bathroom Merrill Place,
Langdon Woods
Triple Room w/ Bathroom One room with 3 sets of bedroom furniture & an in room bathroom Langdon Woods
Single Room In-Suite Merrill Place- 2 single room & 1 shared bathroom (2 sinks, toilet room with door, and shower- each student has lockable bathroom and hallway access)

Langdon Woods- 4 single rooms & 1 shared bathroom area (sinks located in hall with toilet and shower in separate rooms or shower and toilet in same room) & common room with hall access.
Merrill Place &
Langdon Woods
Single Room w/ Bathroom One room with 1 set of bedroom furniture & private bathroom Merrill Place, Langdon Woods, Mary Lyon (2)
Super Single w/ Bathroom One room with 1 set of bedroom furniture & private bathroom Merrill Place, Langdon Woods
Apartment – Shared Bedroom 2/1 Apt- (2-person/1-bedroom)- 1 shared bedroom room with 1 bathroom, kitchen, and living/dining space

4/2 Apt- (4-person/2-bedroom)- 2 shared bedrooms with 1 bathroom, kitchen, and living/dining space

3/2 Apt- (3-person/2-bedroom)- 1 shared bedroom (and 1 private room) with 1 bathroom, kitchen and living/dining space.
Non-Trad Apartments, White Mountain Apartments
Apartment – Private Bedroom 1/1 Apt- private bedroom, 1 bathroom, kitchen, and living/dining room

2/2 Apt- 2 private rooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen, and living/dining room

3/2 Apt-1 private bedroom (and 1 shared bedroom), kitchen, and living/dining room
Non-Trad Apartments, White Mountain Apartments


All bedroom spaces are furnished with the following per student: an extra-long twin bed, desk, desk chair, dresser, and closet space. Note: triple rooms (with or without a bathroom) typically include one set of bunkbeds.

Apartments: in addition to the bedroom furnishings listed above, the kitchen includes: a sink, refrigerator, stove/oven and storage, the living space includes: soft seating and chairs equal to the occupancy type, and a dining table and coffee/end table.

Langdon Woods Suite: in addition to the bedroom furnishings listed above, the common area includes soft seating for 4 and a coffee/end table.

Finite Numbers: All spaces on campus are finite in number. Students desiring a alternative space are asked to add their name to the appropriate waitlist which can be found under Forms & Policies.

*Students with a housing accommodation due to a documented disability are eligible for the housing type specifically noted in the accommodation email sent by the Housing Coordinator and as related to the occupancy types listed above

Students may commute from a home owned by a parent/guardian or while living with a parent/guardian within a 30 mile commute to campus and with Residential Life written approval. Please contact Residential Life for the appropriate form.

No. Your lease with Residential Life is for the entire academic year (August – May). You must fulfill this obligation unless you are released for academic purposes.

All first-year students will live in one of the traditional residence halls as part of the First-Year Residential Experience, including Blair, Belknap, Grafton, Pemigewasset, Geneva Smith, and select rooms in Mary Lyon.

Continuing students are eligible for housing in Res North, including the University Apartments, Merrill Place, Langdon Woods, and select rooms in Mary Lyon.

Upper division students may not room with traditional first years, due to the FYRE-First Year Residential Experience, however they may reserve a space for a transfer/new student who is also an upper division student-sophomore status or above.

No. Anyone residing in campus housing must be a currently enrolled PSU student. Priority is given to full-time matriculated students.

During the summer, Plymouth State operates many conferences, events, and special functions that utilize the residence hall facilities. In addition to those functions, we also take this time to renovate, repair, and clean the facilities. As a result, it is typically not possible to move into your residence hall before the published opening day/time. Knowing this, we ask that you coordinate your move-in plans well in advance of the fall semester opening by arranging for transportation and, if needed, having family members available to assist you.

Students on fall semester athletic teams who are required by their coaches to return early, as well as some student employees and program participants, already have specific and unique arrangements in place for an earlier arrival. The specific details regarding this will be shared with you in advance by your coach or the program coordinator/employer.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals at PSU 

Animals on Campus/In the Halls/Pets
Except for professional live-in staff under contract, pets or animals of any kind are prohibited in university housing units with the exception of approved Service/Emotional Support animals and non-dangerous fish in a tank no larger than 15 gallons.

Service Animals & Emotional Support Animals
Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to assist people with disabilities, are permitted in residential communities as required by law.

ESA/Service animal approval is a two-step process: 

  1. Reasonableness: Campus Accessibility Services (CAS)– Individuals who wish to bring an ESA or service animal to campus must first obtain confirmation of a reasonable accommodation through Campus Accessibility Services. CAS will send confirmation to the Office of Residential Life once processed. 
  2. Animal Health and Policy Adherence- Residential Life: Once confirmation is received, the Housing Coordinator will email the student a link to the Service/Support Animal Housing Application. This online application is needed to confirm the health of the animal and acknowledgement of policies and adherence to same.    

Residential Life requires updated health documentation annually. Please contact Residential Life & Dining Services to obtain information on the review and approval processes that must be completed PRIOR to bringing such animals into any residence hall or University apartment.

Requests for an emotional support animal should be made as early as possible. Review of requests may take up to 30 days.

Service Animal & ESA Policy


In situations where a residential booking has not been finalized, eligible students may be initially charged the double room rate. Once their booking is finalized, then billing will be adjusted to the room rate corresponding to the finalized assignment. Additionally, students who are required to be on a meal plan but did not choose one will be placed on the default meal plan and billed accordingly.

Any vacancies in rooms/suites/apartments may be filled by Residential Life at any point throughout the year with or without notice. If students have a vacancy and have a preferred roommate in mind, they should contact Residential Life as soon as possible in order to reserve the space. Students must maintain open communication with their roommate(s) in order to identify potential vacancies and make appropriate arrangements to pull in a new roommate or perhaps explore a reassignment.

All first-year students will live in one of the traditional residence halls as part of the First-Year Residential Experience, including Belknap, Blair, Geneva Smith, Grafton, Pemigewasset, and select rooms in Mary Lyon.

Continuing students are eligible for housing in Res North, including the University Apartments, Merrill Place, Langdon Woods, and select rooms in Mary Lyon, and can select a space through the Housing Selection Process.

Residential Life encourages all students to find a preferred roommate through the application process. There are many ways to search for a roommate: search by detail, search by profile questions, or browse matching roommates. Many students also search for a roommate through social media.

If you already have a roommate in mind, simply share your housing application screen names and then use the search by detail tool.

Returning students who want to live on campus and those required to live on campus based on the live-on policy will choose housing during the Housing Selection Process. The housing selection process takes place after spring break. PSU students will receive a series of e-mails throughout the spring semester with information about this process.

Important note: Students who are required to live on campus based on the live-on policy for the corresponding academic year must choose on-campus housing or obtain written approval from Residential Life to commute.

Assignment information will be available beginning mid-July for the fall semester and mid-January for the spring semester. Students can check for the latest assignment information by returning to the confirmation page of their housing application. Please note that if you do not see an assignment, it simply means that an assignment has not been made yet. Assignments are made throughout the summer. All students who have paid the room deposit by the due date will be granted housing starting in the fall semester. Most assignments will be available by late July/January. However, we assign students throughout the summer/winter. Assignment information will include the residence hall/area, room/apt/suite number, and roommate information. Please check your assignment information often as changes may occur prior to the opening of the semester.

We generally maintain an administrative room freeze (for about two weeks) at the beginning and end of each semester. We encourage roommates to work out their differences, but we do allow room changes after the first two weeks.

You will need to submit a Room Change Request Form, and your community director will set up an appointment with you to discuss options. First-year students are only eligible for a room change within FYRE-traditional residence halls. Upper division students may request a room change within any ResNorth hall/area.

  • Note: Room changes are generally not permitted during the first and last two weeks of each semester.

Our typical procedure for students seeking an alternative space is to provide them with a list of available spaces for which they are eligible. Those students will then work together with their community director to set up a meet and greet with the current occupants of the rooms with the available space. Your name, profile information, and PSU e-mail may be shared with prospective roommates. Once the student chooses their referred reassignment, the student (s) with the vacancy will be notified via e-mail of their new roommate’s arrival.

Please know that even though the room change process is common practice, some students prefer to move without a meeting, or it may be necessary to assign a student to an available space on short notice or at times when prior notice is not possible. Therefore, please be sure the available bedroom space is “roommate ready,” which means that one desk, chair, wardrobe/closet, dresser, and bed are empty and/or available for immediate use by another student.

The process starts with the room change request form. You will then meet with your CD to explore available options. Once you decide on a space, you will follow the procedure below:

Room Change Procedure

  • Students will set up check-out and check-in times with appropriate CDs.
  • The student will meet with community director to check-in and obtain the new room key, temporary building access card (if applicable), and to complete the room inventory.
  • Students will move belongings to the new room within 24 hours. All belongings must be moved during this time.
  • The student will meet with the current/exiting community director at the prearranged time to return keys, and to complete the check-out and room inventory.
  • The student will visit Student Account services where applicable. Reassignments with an increase or decrease in room rate will be billed /credited the appropriate prorated amount on their student account.


  • No same-day moves allowed.
  • If a key is provided on Friday, the move needs to be completed by Monday.
  • The move cannot take place during quiet hours. Please check quiet hour policies in specific buildings.
  • Failure to abide by Room & Hall Change Procedures may result in revoking a student’s ability to change rooms and/or a fee assessment- up to $25/day.

Meal Plans

Visit the Dining Services page to see the available meal plans and details. Due to limited cooking facilities, all students living in a residence hall are required to be on a meal plan. The restricted meal plan is only available to students who have fulfilled the live-on requirement.

For more information, please go to the Meal Plan Prices and Options web page.

A swipe is equivalent to a meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, meal exchange, or On the Go). Swipes are used in Prospect Dining Hall or the on-campus cafes offering meal exchanges and On the Go options.

Next time you have your ID swiped for a meal, ask the person doing the scanning how many dining swipes you have left.

You can also check this on the GET App or webpage.

FlexCash is issued to students as part of select meal plans and expires at the end of the semester in which it was issued. FlexCash is not refundable. FlexCash can be used only at on-campus food service venues and on-campus vending machines. For these on-campus facilities, funds are automatically drawn from FlexCash first and then from Panther Bucks once depleted.

Panther Bucks can be purchased by any student (or their families), faculty, or staff and is valid as long as the person is actively associated with PSU (it does not expire). Any balance remaining when the individual leaves PSU gets refunded to the individual’s Student Financial Services account.

All foodservice venues accept FlexCash and PantherBucks, including Prospect Hall, Union Grille, Daily Paws, the Woods Cafe, Commons Café, Panther Cafe, and Concessions.

Panther Bucks can be used at on-campus food and beverage vending machines,  HUB Panther print shop, the D&M MakerSpace area, ice skate entry and rentals, campus bookstore, and select off-campus locations.

For a list of off-campus locations that accept Panther Bucks refer to the GET App or webpage.

Online via MasterCard or Visa

  • Parents/Guardians/Others click here to purchase Panther Bucks for your student

Via a Credit Balance on your Tuition Bill account

Via a charge on your tuition bill account

Please stop by the Residential Life office in Speare 218, and we can talk about what the best option is for your situation. Throughout the semester, we allow the purchase of a higher-level meal plan, additional blocks of swipes, or adding Panther Bucks to your account. If you are running out of dining swipes for the current semester, you may want to reconsider now which meal plan you should choose for next semester.

When school is in session, you must stop by the ResLife office in Speare to discuss your options. You may always change to a higher meal plan or change your meal plan for next semester. If the deadline for the current semester has passed, you may not cancel or change your meal plan to a lower plan unless there are extenuating circumstances; you may discuss this with the staff at ResLife or e-mail us at

Facilities & Amenities

Students that need work done in their room should visit our work order page for assistance. 

Yes, you may use your own rug: rugs are not provided in the residence hall rooms except in Langdon Woods. It is important first to measure the floor in your assigned room to determine an appropriate rug size. In Langdon Woods, all rooms are carpeted.

Adhesives that do not damage the wall paint are acceptable to use when hanging items on the walls of the residence halls. Students should not use sticky tack or any devices that put a hole in the wall (charges will be assessed at the end of the year for any damage caused).

Yes (Energy Star, if possible). It needs to be approximately five (5) cubic ft. or smaller. Are you interested in purchasing or renting a refrigerator? Check out New England Student Services for options.

All residential windows have shades or blinds, so curtains are not needed.

All beds have at least one foot of clearance from the bottom of the bed to the floor.

Mattresses are 80″ in length. Beds are 6 ft 8 inches long, 3 ft wide, and have 1 foot (sometimes more) of clearance from the floor. All of the beds on campus require extra long sheets for the best fit. If you have difficulty finding extra long bedding, please visit Residence Hall Linens. Residential Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens for over 16 years to ensure that PSU students and families have a convenient, affordable way to get sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our halls. The Residence Hall Linens program has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Proceeds from this program are used for programming in the residence halls. Shipping is free for all Value Pak orders, and there are more than 40 color combinations available. Plus, linens are delivered to your home during the summer, so you do not have to worry about waiting in line at the store. Order now for the best selection – popular colors can sell out quickly! Please visit the RHL website or call (800) 957-4338.

Students may have the following items

  • Curtains
  • Posters
  • Microwave (small)
  • Refrigerator (5 cubic ft. or smaller)
  • Iron / Ironing board
  • TV
  • Fan
  • Rug
  • Dry erase board
  • Computer / Printer
  • Power strips (UL approved)
  • Mattress toppers
  • Small fish in a tank (< 10 gal)
  • A more extensive list is provided each year in the Move-In Guide

Students should review the list of Prohibited Items in our Policies/Procedures on page 6

Students should have the following items

  • Cell Phone
  • Storage containers
  • Snack food/beverages
  • Laundry basket / detergent
  • Shower shoes & shower caddy
  • Clothes hangers
  • Warm clothes
  • Towels
  • Sheets (extra-long twin) (Residence Hall Linens program)
  • Blanket(s), comforter, pillow(s)
  • Cleaning Supplies (Langdon Woods & Apartments)
  • Command hooks

Yes, you should check your personal coverage.

The University is not liable, directly or indirectly, for theft, destruction of property, or loss of money, valuables, or other personal property belonging to a student. All students are strongly encouraged to carry personal property insurance or to review appropriate family insurance coverage. Many family homeowner policies include this type of coverage.

National Student Services, Inc. provides personal property insurance to students nationwide. Your one-time premium nets you coverage for an entire year, and this coverage begins the day after you apply. Visit their website where students can also apply for coverage to protect their property, renew or modify existing coverage, and obtain all the information they need about NSSI program.

Due to the prevalence of cell phones, land-line phones direct to student rooms are no longer provided. Emergency phones are located in central locations in the residential halls, as well as other campus locations, for 911 emergency calls.  Smartphones (iOS or Android) are recommended for convenience and are necessary to access the forthcoming laundry payment system.

All residence hall rooms currently have cable and computer network access.

PSU has wifi available in all campus buildings and outside in most areas.

Laundry facilities are located in each residential area/building. Students living in the White Mountain Apartment Complex area have laundry rooms located near apartments: 48, 61, 78, 124, and 141

Washer cycles are $2.00. Dryer cycles are $2.00.  Pricing is accurate as of September 2023 and subject to change.

Laundry services are paid for and controlled through the use of the Laundry Connect app available on the Android or iOS app stores.  Students will need to create an account on the app and link to a credit or debit card to pay for laundry services.  Laundry machines do not accept cash or coin.  Deposits to the Laundry Connect app are administered by our laundry services contractor (Automatic Laundry) and will be reflected on debit / credit card statements as “mobcode 6179694340”.

All washers are high-efficiency, front-load machines. Please use only detergent designed for this style machine.

Contact information for the laundry vendor:

Storage space is not available for students.

Keys/PSU ID card access will be issued to the student on record upon arrival at the beginning of the occupancy period. Keys/IDs may not be transferred, duplicated, or given to other persons.

Lost keys should be reported immediately to the appropriate community director. In the event keys are lost, the room/apartment lock will be changed, new keys issued, and the student billed.

The cost for a lock change is $100 per student who loses or fails to return their assigned key.

Living in a Community

By completing and agreeing to the Residential Life Housing & Dining Lease all students living on-campus, have agreed to the Policies/Procedures.

Community directors are full time, live-in professional staff who are responsible for the direct supervision of community advisors and desk attendants assigned to work in the community.

Community directors actively engage with residents to support them during their time residing in residential communities.

Community directors are responsible for the overall daily operation of an assigned residential community.

Community advisors are students employed by the Department of Residential Life & Dining Services as para-professionals to represent the department, support the philosophy and strive to enhance the mission of Plymouth State University and the Department of Residential Life in the daily responsibilities of the position.

Community advisors live in assigned residential communities on the floor with the residents and serve as an immediate resource for students.

Students hired by Residential Life who receive Federal Work-Study.

Desk attendants represent the Department of Residential Life & Dining Services while working at the front desk of campus Residence Halls. Desk attendants report directly to the community director and work on a variety of tasks and assignments during assigned shifts.

Students are allowed to have guests in accordance with Residential Life policies and expectations. Please review all information regarding Guest/Visitation in our Policies/Procedures.

All first-year students are required to have a completed roommate agreement on file in their assigned community. At opening, your community advisor will discuss the importance of this document and the timeline for this document’s completion.

Upper division students are not required to have one of these on file, but are strongly encouraged to have one and may be required to have one if a conflict arises in the room/suite/apartment.

All residential facilities are non‐smoking inside or within 20 feet of each building. This policy includes the use of e‐cigarettes (ex. Juul) and vape devices.

All on‐campus apartments have kitchens, which are each equipped with sinks, refrigerators, and stoves with ovens.

All residence halls have a kitchen/kitchenette for the community to use.

To avoid charges for excessive housekeeping or unusual wear and tear on university property, residents must practice good housekeeping.

Parking & Transportation

Students should visit the parking page through University Police for all questions and information regarding parking on campus.

Communication before move-in and move-out will be sent to students regarding where to park for moving in and moving out. It is essential to follow all of the outlined expectations and instructions.

There is. For more information, check out the shuttle service page.

Concord Coachlines provides limited service to different towns surrounding Plymouth as well as Concord, Londonderry, Boston, and Logan International Airport. For more information, please visit its website or call 1-800-639-3317. Students are eligible for special fare pricing. They pick you up right in town, a very easy walk from campus!

Yes. Bicycle racks are provided close to each living area. There is some internal Bike Storage on campus. The University suggests a U‐ bolt style lock to secure a bicycle. Bicycles parked improperly are subject to fines and/ or removal by the University. Students are not permitted to lock bikes to fence posts, guardrails, stairwells, signposts, light poles, fire equipment, trees, or anywhere that interferes with exiting from the building. Bikes may be parked in a resident’s room as long as the roommate(s) agrees. For safety reasons, bicycles must be walked alongside, inside of buildings.

Residential Fees, Fines, and Damages

Damage, theft, and vandalism to University property are strictly forbidden. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action, which could result in eviction from on-campus housing. Each student is financially responsible for the cost of replacement or repair of any breakage or damage (except for normal wear and tear) to their accommodations and its furnishings as well as for his/her share of the costs of any damages in the common areas of university housing. Loss of or damage to University or personal property due to negligence on the part of a student or their guest may result in financial responsibility for the residential student.

No. Our Physical Plant staff is trained to make the necessary repairs to University and state guidelines. Making these repairs on your own could create future safety issues.

Here is a list of fees that could be incurred by students during their time residing on campus:

  • Lost Key/Lock Change – $100 per student per key assigned not returned
  • Unapproved Arrival – $200, plus any associated early arrival fees
  • Improper Checkout (failed to checkout express/in-person) – $50
  • Improper Checkout (furniture not returned to move-in setup) $50
  • Approved Early Arrival – $varies
  • Abandoned Property – $25 per bag/box
  • Failure to return Temporary Building Access Card – $100